Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

lockable pallets

yellaasian

I would like to know if you can make the pallets lockable. I am the Lighting Director at The Pageant Nightclub in St Louis, MO USA. We have owned the Fat frog lighting desk for about 5 months now and like it alot but I do lights for alot of different types of bands and ussually dont have alot of time to program and I hear them for the first time at sound check. I use the pallets insted of progaming looks because it is alot faster to update the pallets to the show. It would make it alot easier to use the pallets live, if i could lock a certain pallet and use them more like bump buttons with out holding the attrabute button thus leaving the other had free to use the submaster bump buttons for the conventionals . This would make it a easier and better spontanious board. thanks BOB

It's a good idea, how did we miss this? You're right, it would make the desk a lot nicer to use live. If this had come up a few weeks ago it could have been sneaked into release 7. As it is, it will have to wait for the next round of functional updates - keep telling our Sales chaps & chapesses how many more desks you'll buy when we do it!

Release 7 might go some way to helping you, as it has partial partial memories, so you can put just colours on submasters for example.

• 2 months later...

Hi Everyone,

Here is something I feel should be considered in a future software update, on the surface it seems like a simple to implement feature, and with some knowledge of programming I can't imagine that it will be too difficult, however not know of the architecture of the Frog software I can't say that for certain.

So here it is, I was running a show on a Frog on Saturday night (it's been a while, don't get away from the office as often as I would like these days and when I do it's often with a desk from another manufacturer though I won't metion them here!) I had 36 generic channels and 8 movers running off the desk. I was entirely busking the show live as I had never heard either of the bands before so had built some generic looks and movements for the movers and had them stored on submasters. I was also using four submasters for generic looks. I was operating the four generic looks on each page using the flash buttons on the subs. This obviously was using up one of my two hands (wouldn't it be useful to have more!). I then wanted to apply a pallette to the moving light program that was running on another sub. As it requires two hands to recall a pallette this was an issue.

This wasn't always a problem as sometimes I could raise the submaster to hold the generic look and then recall the pallette. However whenever I wanted to change the generic's and say change the colour in the movers at the same time this simply wasn't possible.

So here is the soloution I came up with, rather than having to hold down the attribute button and then pressing the appropriate channel flash button to recall the pallette, how about pressing the attribute select button a second time to latch it into pallette recall mode. The LED built into the attribute select button could flash to indicate this and pressing the button again could return the attribute button to normal.

Hope this makes sense, I would be interested to hear if anyone agrees with this or has had a similar problem.

Keep up the good work all you Zero 88 guys & gals.

John Huson

Lighting Manager

Pearce Hire

http://www.pearcehire.co.uk

:idea:

I totaly agree, locking pallets is a great idea. I had a demo on a fat frog from zero88 a couple of weeks ago, and it is one of the suggestions i made.

it could either be locked onto the pallete by a double press of by holding for 1 second, or any other method that was fast and only requires one hand. A further press would realease the pallete.

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I have just been talking to one of my colleagues who has just had a rig of mine with a Fat Frog in the states running live for a band. We both feel that there should be some way for live operation of latching the flash buttons into pallet mode meaning for example that you can change colour with 1 finger, (instead of holding the attribute button and the flash button). Having used Avolites board, when you recall a focus pallet if the Dimmer attribute is selected, then all the attributes stored on a pallet will be affected, but if the colour or beamshape attribute is selected, then only the selected attribute will be affected when the flash button is pushed.

• 2 weeks later...

Last time i mentioned Locking Palettes..... i got...."some people like to flash channels"! + go buy a avolites desk!!!

I luv the way the pearl 2000 handles palettes would be nice if that kinda a operation was on the frog......

Why aint you sure about combining them? the good old sirus500 focus-subs were really handly....

how about...selecting dimmer and then the pallets could be linked to a mem or a sub?

I need a new job

Last time i mentioned Locking Palettes..... i got...."some people like to flash channels"! + go buy a avolites desk!!!

I luv the way the pearl 2000 handles palettes would be nice if that kinda a operation was on the frog......

Would you care to verify your first comment ?

I'm not sure exactly how the Pearl desk handles palettes, but we have designed a locking mechanism for the palettes, which will be in the updates package currently in development.

Why aint you sure about combining them? the good old sirus500 focus-subs were really handly....

This is mainly because we have to design the new functionality based around the existing front panel controls.

The Sirius 250/500 had separate sections of buttons for the colour/beamshape/position memories (palettes) and the focus submasters which could be programmed with combinations of C/B/P memories.

We are adding locking palettes in the next update. Whether we extend this to include combinations of C/B/P palettes into "focus subs" in a later version is a decision for the management and sales departments.

how about...selecting dimmer and then the pallets could be linked to a mem or a sub?

Not sure I follow what you are asking for here exactly.

K-Nine : Technically Advanced Roving Dog In Space

Bran Media | Myspace