Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

FLX 48S Universe Outputs

simzee47

Hi All,

Our FLX 48S desk has only 1 Universe. Before the latest update there was a way of using the Universe outputs as a DMX splitter which I had set via instructions from this forum. I used the 5 pin output to feed the dimmer rack and the 3 pin to run on-stage fixtures and all worked fine. Since the update I don't seem to be able to do this. I tried changing the Output of Universe 2 to Output 1 but it says this is already being used by Universe 1. Is the feature I had used before been removed from the latest software release?

Dave

You will have to remove Output 2 from Universe 2 first. Then use Add in Universe 1 to add Output 2.

In fact the limitation is on number of DMX addresses so if you have a 1 universe console you have a 512 DMX address limit and you could spread those anywhere across 64 universes (silly I realise). So you could use Output 1 with Universe 1 and Output 2 with Universe 2 if you wanted so long as you didn't have more than 512 DMX addresses patched across both Universes.

What you want to do is usually what I do - 1 universe output over two connectors - 1 output to the dimmers and 1 output to the DMX chain around the LED fixtures.

After a desk reset, Universe 2 will have Output 2 assigned:

image.png.c1bc4512cc5613a2449b59003af6f2e3.png

Click on "Output 2". Then click Remove on this screen:

image.png.d70fc8236c62e9dddfc5733a5c077b98.png

Universe 2 will end up looking like this:

image.png.99d99835b538622df457f7d6d52be61c.png

In Universe 1, click Add then type 2 to add Output 2 to Universe 1:

image.png.ecba27ece0f4c7c1a593e3b66894b717.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1