Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

mmmm, scrollers

achamb

Hi.

Being an avid and loyal frog user I would really love to see in the next software patch the ability to assign more than one dmx dimmer to a scroller fixture so I can have more than two lanterns (with the scroller set to the same dmx) on the same fixture. This would be great if you could fit this in before october as I'm lighting Jesus Christ Superstar and with 18 intelligents and 14 scrollers planned have just ran out of space on my leap frog :( !

So please, please let us assign more than one dmx dimmer to a scroller fixture.

I think he means he's got some scrollers set to the same DMX address, on a couple of lanterns. He want to dim them separately, while the scroller colour stays the same, is that about it?

Just use 1 fixture for the scroller only (just colour selection), and a few normal faders for the dimmer DMX addresses. Or rewrite the fixture file so there are 2 or more dimmers (but those would be LTP; maybe not too clever to do that).

> 500 posts, time for a new T-shirt? ;)

If that is what you mean, then Ice is correct :)

Have a single fixture for each scroller that is set to the same DMX start address, and use a generic channel/fader for each individual dimmer channel you wish to control.

You could create a new user fixture type with several 'dimmer' channels but at present the software will only allow one true 'brightness' (HTP) channel per fixture.

If you classified your dimmer channels as separate beamshape parameters, it would work, but they will be processed LTP, which may or may not be acceptable for your particular situation.

K-Nine : Technically Advanced Roving Dog In Space

Bran Media | Myspace

This would be great if you could fit this in before october as I'm lighting Jesus Christ Superstar and with 18 intelligents and 14 scrollers planned have just ran out of space on my leap frog :( !

In this case, I would use a fixture of only 1 channel (colour) for the scrollers. You use 18 intelli's, so there's space left for 6 scrollers on your leapfrog.

BUT! Create a new fixture file, and assing 3 colour items to it. Working like that, every fixture takes 3 DMX channels, and has 3 colour attributes. Assing the fixture to DMX channel 250 and patch your scrollers like 250-251-252. Patch the lanterns to (for instance) 300-301-302 and patch those lanterns as generics.

This way you can:

* control the dim value of each lantern separately

* control the colour of each scroller separately

* use 6*3 = 18 scrollers... and even more when you create a second wheel group (more channels per fixture, but I don't think that's useful).

The only thing I'm not quite sure about is the patching of the dimmer channel of a fixture; is that nescessary? In that case the fixture would have address 250, and the colour attributes would be at 251-252-253; don't hardpatch anything to address 250 (or use 1 lantern and separately patch the other 2 as generics).

As you see; many solutions to the problem :)

> 500 posts, time for a new T-shirt? ;)

• 4 months later...

thanks ice... took yours and k-nine's wisdom and managed to successfully light the show. My original explanation may have been a bit poor. At the moment when u assign a scroller as a fixture the frog asks what the dmx of the lantern is... eg. 12 and the dmx address of the scroller e.g. 100. All I wanted to do was to be able to assign extra lanterns to the same scroller dmx (i.e. have 10 lanterns on different dimmers and set the scrollers to the same address) This you can't do with the existing scroller setup. However, once again showing the versatility of the frog managed to come up with a solution! Cheers! :D

That depends on exactly which of the scroller fixture types you use :D

If you check the fixture library - there are some scroller fixture types which are just the scrollers and there are also lamp and scroller fixture types (composite fixtures) in which you are asked for separate DMX addresses for the lamp and the scroller.

K-Nine : Technically Advanced Roving Dog In Space

Bran Media | Myspace