Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Crappy looking chases :D

ice

Last show I needed a functionality i could find! I only get these neat, smooth chases; but I didn't want one like that!!! I needed a rusty like look, like the motors of my fixtures were banged up. I really couldn't find anything that even looked like it!

Maybe a nice little extra for a new console or something, maybe not that useful; but if it's programmed in a decent way it might give a cool effect with scans. What I thought of is a mode which randomly uses values generated by the effects-engine. So when selecting a circle the rusty-look will pick up the values at 0 second, 0.2 seconds, 0.4 secons, 1.0 seconds, 1.1 seconds etc... you get my point right :)

U know; I really wouldn't know how... but it would be absolutely rocking if you could make the new console in a way users can add own written little scripts like this... somekind of Frog++ programming language for own make little effects :D

-mentioned before- rain effect:

if (currenttilt > previoustilt) running.fixture->brightness = 0

else running.fixture->brightness = chase.brightness

:P:D

> 500 posts, time for a new T-shirt? ;)

Hi Ice,

did you also try the quad curve?

If you choose this one and fool around a little with fan, offset, speed and rotation you´ll get what you want, I think

The quad curve does very little stops at the end of every line. Set the position to step and you got these holds a little longer.

I haven´t checked it yet, but it should work.

cheers

Sven

Sven Paulsen

Klangfarbe Vienna

Hi,

there isn´t a step option on the effects generator.

You can also have nice movement effects without the effect generator !

remembering good old times storing every movement in a chase !

If you want a certain effect set the fixture positions press chase on a free memory i.e 983 be sure every scan you want to store is 'tagged' then press program set pos2 on chase step 2 pos3 on chase step3 and so on

then have a play with chese modifieres:

clip1.jpg

Sebastian H.

Pro - Sound Showtechnik

The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.

Albert Einstein

"You can get a lot more done with a kind word and a gun"

Al Capone

Hmm, sounds like there is some confusion between movement effects and position chases here :?

Movement Effects

A movement effect is a quick and simple method of programming fixture movement (using the pan and tilt parameters) in a scene memory or submaster, in which one or more fixtures carry out a specified 'shape' automatically, without the need to plot every position in the effect. (The Ellipse for example, is internally a 64 step position chase 8O )

You simply select the required fixture(s), set the pan and tilt parameters to the 'base' position, and then adjust the shape, x-size, y-size and speed to obtain the desired movement effect (eg ellipse, quad, triangle, figure of 8).

Rotation can be adjusted to rotate the effect if necessary, and Offset can be used to produce a 'wave' effect with several different fixtures.

Position Chase

A position chase is a memory containing up to 99 steps in which the user manually sets and programs the position of the fixture(s) in each step.

The chase modifiers (direction, attack, colour action, beam action, position action, drive and speed) determine how the chase runs, what drives it, how the outputs change between steps etc.

K-Nine : Technically Advanced Roving Dog In Space

Bran Media | Myspace

Hi Ice,

I mean it as Haytech did this nice screenshot.

There are a few more options to create a crappy "chase", Probably a mixture of an EFX and a real chase. Ie, prepare a fast quad efx on the right=Step1, Step2 0 same efx but on the left, Step3 = same EFX but right front........choose the Step option for this chase and speed control like you prefere.

I hope this helps a little cheers

Sven

Sven Paulsen

Klangfarbe Vienna

Laubfrosch is right :D

Although I described movement effects and position chases independently in my earlier post, there is no reason why you can't put a movement effect on one or more steps of a position chase 8O

The best thing is to experiment with the real lights, adjust the different movement effect parameters and chase modifiers and see what result you get :D

Maybe you could also try adding the FROG function to the position of your fixtures in one or more steps and see what that looks like :D

K-Nine : Technically Advanced Roving Dog In Space

Bran Media | Myspace

there is no reason why you can't put a movement effect on one or more steps of a position chase

Can I run a certain effect i.e. ellipse x 50 / y50 s 5 / through a whole chase ?

have say step 1 change colours to open / red even then step 2 changes color open/ red odd ?? without starting the movement anytime ?

PS. this is more a How Do I question I know , but it arises by reading this thread

Sebastian H.

Pro - Sound Showtechnik

Albert Einstein

Al Capone

You´re right Laubfrosch,

You can have a colour change chase with movement effects in them, without bothering the movement shape.

Very Cool indeed. 8)

Sebastian H.

Pro - Sound Showtechnik

Albert Einstein

Al Capone