Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Chase speed control - enhancement?

dmx256

since getting my leap frog, and then upgrading the software from 1.9 to 9.6, then setting up 12k in par cans in the living room, much to the girlfriends delight 8O i have hit upon a new idea for the chase spped control and modifiers.

what i would like to see as on option when generating a chase, is basically a function that allows me to run that chase at a speed that is currently set on the chase speed control, not the spped control that was programmed when creating the chase. this would allow me to fade in a chase at exactly the same spped as the one that is running at the time, and not by its programmed speed.

I think this would be quite a useful little tool.

I would like it as an option, so i could, for example, program my scans for a slow sweep that would run by the programmed speed, but still have spped control over the par cans chases...

Am i making sense?

hope a few more of you agree with me, or am i about to have 12 replies telling me i can do this already? :oops:

another bright idea from dmx256 :idea: :idea: :idea:

just a technical note i think-

pressing the sub button would not work, you would still be adjusting all chases running, i think you need to press F3 > Submasters > the sub flash button :? :)

Then you just adjust the speed for that chase (press F3 to exit individual adjustment mode)

i find it a bit fiddle - perhaps frog II could make this feature easier to use??

sp

with the new frog software i can change the speed of chases running, but when i fade up a new chase ie to fade in the rear par cans, it come in at the programmed speed, not at the speed of the chase already runnning. i then have to turn the chase speed to "pick up" the control of the chase speed and then they run at the same speed.

What i want is to fade it in at the speed set by the chase speed control, not to have to mess around with the speed of it!

see what i mean?

This is on a leap frog by the way!

Hi,

I suggested "speed groups" before elsewhere in forum ( I´am to lazy to have a look )

As DMX256 suggested before to have a pick/copy speed option it would be nice to have a a bounch of speedgroups on submasters.

Sebastian H.

Pro - Sound Showtechnik

The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.

Albert Einstein

"You can get a lot more done with a kind word and a gun"

Al Capone

In software release 9 we added in the much requested functionality of being able to modify the chase speed live.

We also made it possible to adjust any of the chase modifiers live (direction, attack, drive and speed). :lol:

These live adjustments can be done for all chases running at the time or for individually selected chases. CLICK HERE

Perhaps if you set the chase drive modifier to beat rather than auto, then you could quickly adjust it's 'speed' live by tapping the STEP button rather than adjusting the speed control on the front panel. If several chases were running then this action would affect all those with a beat drive making them all run at the same 'speed' 8)

I think that when you first run a chase from the playback x or from a submaster, that it is perfectly reasonable to expect it to run at it's programmed values (direction, attack, drive, speed etc). These can then be modified live as required.

Expecting a chase to somehow modify itself automatically to match another one running is perhaps a little too much to expect at the moment - I'm not sure if Simon has developed any 'psychic' software yet :lol:

What would happen if you had say six chases all running at different speeds, and you started a new one - how would it know which one to match 8O

Edit: :idea: You could always just program the two chases with the same speed to start with :D

K-Nine : Technically Advanced Roving Dog In Space

Bran Media | Myspace

To be perfectly honest im used to the jands event/esp II range of consoles, and how the speed control works on them is a little different. The speed of a chase is controlled by the speed controller and not built into the chase program. So by turning the chase control knob, you alter the speed of all stored chases, running or not. Perhaps we could have this as an option on the programming menu? :idea:

each man to his own, some people prefer to store the chase speed with a programmed chase, but me, i prefer to play around with the speed knob live! :D

Can you help me? PLease? :lol:

I don't think it is likely that we will be changing how or where the 'speed' of a chase is stored at this stage of the software development. Fundamental internal data structures are best left alone at this advanced stage 8O

You can adjust the speed of a chase live as you have said you like doing. It's just that when the chase is first run, it will run at it's programmed speed, and you will need to pick up that speed with the control to adjust it live.

If you are running a simple brightness chase say on the subs - you could always set a low trigger level (eg 5%) so that the chase will run as soon as the fader reaches 5%, raise the sub passed the trigger level so the chase runs but the lights are barely visible, adjust the speed using the speed control to the required value and then raise the submaster fader to 100%.

One advantage of the way we implemented live chase modifier adjustment in release 9.0 is that you can adjust all chases running from the submasters, playback X or SX buttons (Mambo), or select one or more chases to adjust and leave the others running as normal.

Flexibility, you see, which hopefully pleases most of the people for most of the time :P

K-Nine : Technically Advanced Roving Dog In Space

Bran Media | Myspace

or select one or more chases to adjust and leave the others running as normal.

In my post further up this topic i stated the procedure i thought was needed to individually adjust chases live. Yves disagreed and suggested his easier method.

Not trying to have a showdown here :twisted: :lol: but out of interest which method is correct for adjusting individual chases live?

sp