Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Setting up jester ML 24

Tony_-_-_

I was just wondering if you could help me, I have recently been employed by a school where they have a new lighting system (Jester ML24) which they have never used but it is already wired in and ready to go before I got there, however, I'm not too familiar with setting these things up and none of the faders makes the lights come on but everything looks ready however I'm pretty sure the lights aren't assigned. 

My question is will I have to programme the lights into the desk to make the desk work with the lights? and if so how is this done?

p.s I have no clue about lighting

Thanks in advance

Edited by Jon Hole
Reduced text to standard font size

Hi Tony,

To answer your question we need to know about the whole system, not just the console. Do you know who installed the lighting system in the school? If so, contacting them would be a good starting point as they hopefully have the whole system documented and will be in a position to help much quicker than we will be able to.

If not, please provide as much information / photos of anything you can find that might be part of the lighting system - including close up pictures of the lights themselves (showing make / model etc) and we'll try to help!

Jon

Jon Hole
Global Product Manager, Systems and Control

6 hours ago, Tony_-_-_ said:

I was just wondering if you could help me, I have recently been employed by a school where they have a new lighting system (Jester ML24) which they have never used but it is already wired in and ready to go before I got there, however, I'm not too familiar with setting these things up and none of the faders makes the lights come on but everything looks ready however I'm pretty sure the lights aren't assigned. 

My question is will I have to programme the lights into the desk to make the desk work with the lights? and if so how is this done?

p.s I have no clue about lighting

Thanks in advance

@Tony_-_-_ Sorry to hear you've been dropped in it... We had similar with a school that we supplied when I worked with CTS - it turns out the technician that specified the kit initially had left the school, reset everything to default and took any notes with him which was sad because of the patching that the dimmers & fixtures had because of the school halls layout.

As Jon says - it's certainly worth contacting the original supplier, they might well have matching notes/patches for your installation however don't hold your breath on this (again from experience). Best to start gathering information now (pictures help a lot too!) of the dimmers in use, what the lights are (are they conventional i.e. lamps or LED's) and do you have any overly sized units (moving heads).

It might also help to give an indication of where you are - there plenty of regular contributors here who might turn out to be "local" to you and happy to come help out for a cuppa or a small fee :)

Ian Knight aka The Service Guy - www.serviceguy.co.uk