Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Lighting in Churches

l8

What should the general house lighting level in a church service be. We use between 20 and 50%  

22 members have voted

1. 1.

• 100% on
    • 75% on
    • 50% on
    • 25% on

Many thanks to K-Nine for setting this area up from a request I'd sent him.

What with Stage Lighting becoming more popular in churches I felt the forum needed to give people like myself who look after the lighting a chance to disscus the different needs and ways that the many different areas of services, events and gigs can be approached.

If you look after lighting in your or a church or have any ideas for us please post here.

:D

Out of all the things I've lost it's my mind I miss the most!

I agree that you need to have different areas at different levels. The speaker needs to remain lit throughout so you may want that quite bright. When people go to pray you may want to lower the lighting of the whole church and when people sing again you would want brighter lighting.

Sam

in my mind I wouldn´t "play" with the church lights, but to be honest I´d never seen a british ceremony.

Just remember that some people of the crowd maybe little old and myopic

if not dawnblind - keep the lights bright enough that all of the crowd can read their choir book. Decrease it if something happens near the altar like nativity play, christening, Gregorian chant, whatever needs the attention of the crowd.

I´am sure you can ask some people after ceremony about their feelings with the lighting.

Sebastian H.

Pro - Sound Showtechnik

The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.

Albert Einstein

"You can get a lot more done with a kind word and a gun"

Al Capone

Wow - amazing

I didn´t see a moveinglight in a church before

I see that there is a use for If there is a play / show on church but on normal ceremony.

In these parts parochial church councils aren´t very modern - they are little way oldschool.

Sebastian H.

Pro - Sound Showtechnik

The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.

Albert Einstein

"You can get a lot more done with a kind word and a gun"

Al Capone

Any church I have been in (not that I am in churches at all really apart from weddings/ funerals) has only had normal domestic light fittings. Moving lights- well I would think they are a bit inappropriate (want you going to do have the macs sweeping the congragtion during an upbeat version of give me oil in my lamp lol, or maybe a roatating gobo on the vicar!).

Some church's i've been in have pritty impresive sound set ups (radio mics, large 25 channel desks, loads of sourcfe equipment etc.) but as I say have never seen anysort of lighting other than domestic stuff.

Sam

This link takes you to a church in Austraila called Hillsong. I've followed there groath for many years.

http://www.hillsong.com/church/worship/pro...Ministries=true

Take a look thorough the gallery as well.

This is the benchmark for the modern church still with all the christian values and belifes.

I have a few of their DVD's and their worship services would put a lot of bands to shame lol!

Also there is another called ALM here in Bradford at http://www.alm.org.uk

Out of all the things I've lost it's my mind I miss the most!

• 7 months later...

I havent actually voted, because I think it should vary depending on the style of song, whats going on and the type/style of the service, who the congregation are etc.

For example, in a youth event, at our church we will get in some intelligent lights (and a trusty Fat Frog!!) and treat it like more of a concert thing, however when its the main speech we will go to a preset.

The lights on the congregation will remain on, but at a low level unless requested other wise.

A normal service we will just stick with the in house rig (a load of pars) and do a basic wash over stage. The congregation lights will remain on, but at a higher level for people wanting to read etc.

The main rule however that I use, is that the lighting is there to compliment the goings on, to build on the atmosphere and as in all ministrys, help bring people closer to God. And it shouldn't be a distraction!

Just my £0.02!!

Chris

Hi

Another interesting church to look at is Saddleback in Orange county LA. They have a few Frogs and have a fairly amazing set up of multiple venues on one campus. We did a press release about them that you can find here http://www.zero88.com/news_article.php?id=191

I need to get you an updated picture for that release. That picture was when we were on temporary truss, etc. We finally received the permits and the final truss rig is now in place and looks 100% better. Mike F. has them or I can forward them on to you.

You can reach me at jong@saddleback.net