Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Flash to beat

sp

Flash?? Whats the differenece between flashing and turning on and off quickly?? Flashing is in effect strobing.

You could program a chase where the lights were on on the 1st step and off on the 2nd step, and set the drive to bass (plus speed it up).

Don't really get what you mean, am I right?

Sam

Yes we're both agreeing that 'flashing' is the lights on and off quickly, but that would require two bass pulses, whereas I would like the flashing on and off with just one bass pulse.

I wouldn't think the speed control would have any effect on a chase on bass drive? :?

sp

Ok, yes sorry I was having a bit of a blonde moment when I wrote the post. And of course, what was I thinking, speed would have no bearing!!

OK- Now I am back on the same planet, I don't think there is anyway of doing this!

Appologies for confusion,

Sam

I don't think there is a simple way of achieving this effect at the moment .. except for getting an operator to hit the flash buttons in time with the music :D

:idea: One possibility may be to extend the functionality of the remote switches such that they can be assigned to items other than the GO button or Go to a specified memory.

If, for example, it was possible to assign flash buttons to remote switches, then perhaps the bass drive of the music could be set up to trigger the remote switches which would in turn simulate pressing the corresponding flash buttons.

Frog Reference No 5487 - Extend options for Remote Switches - to be reviewed.

K-Nine : Technically Advanced Roving Dog In Space

Bran Media | Myspace

My solution for this has been to hook up an old pc that was lying about to the desk's audio socket , and use the pc for some neat audio effects, such as:

# Use the mic on the pc - click ur fingers 2 run chases 8)

# I wrote a simple little program that lets you create irregular chase triggers (e.g. boom.......boom boom...) - thus more interesting chases

# Made another little program that creates a bass signal when u press the spacebar (shove the keyboard on the floor and u got a foot pedal)

# And lastly, I modified the spacebar program so it creates two triggers when you press the pedal:

So make a chase with Step 1 being On and Step 2 being Off and you can make the lights flash when you press the pedal or click your fingers.

Ok you may not be able to carry around a pc when your travelling, but our desk very rarely moves so it's fine for us :)

sp

So these programs, any chance of sharing the wealth with fellow frogians.

Sounds like a very good if not slightly complicated way to do what you want. We can tell your a lighting techie, on such a person would take the intiative to make a program on a pc to sort a problem.

Maybe in a later update this sort of idea could be included into the desks software.

Sam

Hi SP,

it´s indeed a very good idea to took the PC as it was meant to be ...

but it´s worse to carry a whole PC with U on tour or event even a laptop is too much. esp. when you only have about 1½ hours to build up your rig including sound and lights FOH and some riser for drums etc.

Anyway I like your way to solve problems - go on with it

Sebastian H.

Pro - Sound Showtechnik

The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.

Albert Einstein

"You can get a lot more done with a kind word and a gun"

Al Capone

You could always put some clever audio processing on the signal which goes into the desk, in the form of a delay with a dry signal passing through also. This would give in effect two beats where there is one, giving an 'on/off' for every real beat. Bit of a long way around though.

Peter Kirkup