Jump to content
Zero 88 Community Support Forum
bungeefield

Art-Net on FLX

Recommended Posts

Hi all,

I have an FLX console, and i am trying to output all the universes over artnet, however even though artnet is enabled and all the universes are configured with their artnet universes i cannot pick up the artnet anywhere.

DMX Workshop says "? Input 1: [] Universe: 1 - No Data (Dest: Art-Net)" and ArtNetominator detects the node (the are lots of them) but it doesn't receive any data.

I am running the latest version of ZerOS (7.9.7)

Sorry if I'm missing something or not understanding it, any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello,

Welcome to the Zero 88 Forum. 

What ArtNet device are you trying to control?

5 hours ago, bungeefield said:

i am trying to output all the universes over artnet,

Are these routed 1:1? Meaning is desk universe 1 router to ArtNet universe 1 and so on?

What is the network setup? Are you going via an Ethernet switch; or directly from console to node?

Edward

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Edward- Z88 said:

What ArtNet device are you trying to control?

I'm trying to control Realizzer 3D at the moment and i also want to control resolume in the future.

15 minutes ago, Edward- Z88 said:

Are these routed 1:1? Meaning is desk universe 1 router to ArtNet universe 1 and so on?

Yes these are routed 1:1.

15 minutes ago, Edward- Z88 said:

What is the network setup? Are you going via an Ethernet switch; or directly from console to node?

They are connected over a network with an ethernet switch and a dhcp server.

 

Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello,

1 minute ago, bungeefield said:

They are connected over a network with an ethernet switch and a dhcp server.

I'm guessing the console and computer are configured to DHCP IP addresses?

In the DMX Workshop node list, does the FLX have a green tick? If you are seeing a question mark, it means DMX Workshop can see FLX, however there is a network error.

On FLX, if you press Z -> System Information -> Network Overview, at the top of the screen the DHCP address will be displayed. Can you confirm FLX is using this for ArtNet?

If you have any questions let me know.

Edward

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Edward- Z88 said:

I'm guessing the console and computer are configured to DHCP IP addresses?

Yes they are.

4 minutes ago, Edward- Z88 said:

In the DMX Workshop node list, does the FLX have a green tick? If you are seeing a question mark, it means DMX Workshop can see FLX, however there is a network error.

In the picture attached is what i see in DMX Workshop, my computer is on 192.168.1.30 and the FLX is on 192.168.1.141.

 

5 minutes ago, Edward- Z88 said:

On FLX, if you press Z -> System Information -> Network Overview, at the top of the screen the DHCP address will be displayed. Can you confirm FLX is using this for ArtNet?

Yes on the FLX it says that it's DHCP IP address is 192.168.1.141 and that it is transmitting artnet on IP address 192.168.1.141

 

Thanks

Annotation 2020-02-18 182041.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello,

Thanks very much for the screen shot. 

Hmm that's odd, can't remember seeing that before.

What fixtures have you got patched on FLX? How many universes have you patched on? Would you be able to save your show file, and post it here so I can take a look?

Edward

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello,

All looks good in the show file - thanks for posting.

I'm not familiar with Realizzer - is the connection to an ArtNet input automatic, or do you have to configure it? Is it looking to receive ArtNet starting at universe 0, or universe 1? Is this something you can configure within Realizzer? Is it also seeing FLX, however just not responding? FLX will not transmit ArtDMX, until a node subscribes to a universe. 

I know it sounds like a cliche, however have you rebooted the PC since configuring IP settings? I have known Windows 10 to disable a NIC without asking it to in the past!

Edward

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah yes i think that must've been it, in realizzer you can change the universe, i had it set to universe 1, but it was coming through on universe 2 (i assume becuase realizzer universe 1 is artnet universe 0, etc..)

Thank you so much for all your help, greatly appreciated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello,

1 minute ago, bungeefield said:

Ah yes i think that must've been it, in realizzer you can change the universe, i had it set to universe 1, but it was coming through on universe 2 (i assume becuase realizzer universe 1 is artnet universe 0, etc..)

Ah excellent. glad to hear you solved the problem.

1 minute ago, bungeefield said:

Thank you so much for all your help, greatly appreciated.

No worries, any questions just let me know.

Edward

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi,

sorry for always hijacking Artnet threads like this, but my other hijacked thread was closed due to the forum restructuring 🙂
Anyway it is only a short question: Does FLX (or ZerOS) start Artnet numbering at universe 0 or universe 1?

Thats all,
Martin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Martin,

13 hours ago, martin-144 said:

Does FLX (or ZerOS) start Artnet numbering at universe 0 or universe 1?

From a Factory Reset ZerOS, when ArtNet is enabled, it is routed 1:1, meaning desk universe 1 is routed to ArtNet universe 1 and so on.

If you press SETUP -> Universes -> ArtNet 4 -> Reset to Defaults, you can choose to route desk universe 1 to ArtNet universe 1 and so on, or route desk universe 1 to ArtNet universe 0 and so on. We will never rename ArtNet universe 0 to be 1, which sounds like what Realizzer may have done.

Edward

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi,

sorry for bringing this up again but I have the same problem except Realizzer does not detect any data (I only checked the first 15 universes). Artnetominator and Dmx-workshop are giving me the same information as bungeefield. My Pc and the Flx S24 are both configured to DHCP IP with a switch (Pc: 192.168.178.66, Console: 192.168.178.37, artnet is being transmitted on this IP, too). I'm running ZeroOS 7.9.7. I am going to attach my show file.

I don't know if I'm missing something (Been trying for 2 days now), any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks

Tim

artnet.isf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Tim,

Welcome to the Zero 88 forum. 

I’m not at my laptop at the moment, so can’t look at the show file currently. From your description, it sounds like it is configured correctly on the FLX S24.

From @bungeefield description, Realizzer names ArtNet universe 0 “Universe 1” (just to add to the confusion!). Therefore if you are using Universe 1 onwards in Realizzer, ensure on FLX S24 you tap SETUP -> Universes -> ArtNet -> Reset to Defaults -> Starting at 0.

So I’m guessing your network is simply FLX S24 and PC plugged into a switch? And this switch also has a DHCP server built in? 

If you tap Z/Shift -> System Information -> Network overview, ensure ArtNet is transmitting on the intended IP.

The best network test tool in this situation to use is Wireshark, available from the Wireshark website here...

https://www.wireshark.org/

If you run this, you will be able to see if ArtNet is reaching the PC. In Wireshark, you will see ArtPoll packets as FLX S is “polling” the network to see what’s out there. You will not see ArtDMX, unless an ArtNet responder has asked for a universe to receive. Therefore if Realizzer is set to receive the universes correctly, you will then see ArtDMX routed to the PC.

If you aren’t getting any data from any software package, have you checked Windows Firewall settings?

Hope this helps, if you have any questions let me know. 

Edward

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Edward- Z88 said:

So I’m guessing your network is simply FLX S24 and PC plugged into a switch? And this switch also has a DHCP server built in? 

I am actually using an old netgear access point with a DHCP built in.

 

1 hour ago, Edward- Z88 said:

If you run this, you will be able to see if ArtNet is reaching the PC. In Wireshark, you will see ArtPoll packets as FLX S is “polling” the network to see what’s out there. You will not see ArtDMX, unless an ArtNet responder has asked for a universe to receive. Therefore if Realizzer is set to receive the universes correctly, you will then see ArtDMX routed to the PC.

First of all, I disabled the firewall and restarted Realizzer. But now I'm just confused, because (according to wireshark) The S24 is only sending ArtPolls to 192.168.178.255 and Realizzer is actually sending ArtpollReplys but to destination 255.255.255.255. Is that normal (:?

 

1 hour ago, Edward- Z88 said:

If you tap Z/Shift -> System Information -> Network overview, ensure ArtNet is transmitting on the intended IP.

It is.

Tim

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Tim,

9 minutes ago, LighterTim said:

The S24 is only sending ArtPolls to 192.168.178.255

This is correct. That means it is looking for any devices with an IP of 192.168.178.x. 

10 minutes ago, LighterTim said:

Realizzer is actually sending ArtpollReplys but to destination 255.255.255.255. Is that normal (:?

255.255.255.255 is a limited broadcast address, which shouldn’t be used. Realizzer should reply with a directed broadcast (192.168.178.255). 

If you haven’t tried already, try setting static IPs and subnets for the PC and console, and see if you have any luck. 

If you have any questions let me know. 

Edward

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Edward- Z88 said:

If you haven’t tried already, try setting static IPs and subnets for the PC and console, and see if you have any luck.

Unfortunately it didn't change anything. But what I noticed was that as soon as Realizzer started sending replie's there was no ArtNetPoll from the console to be found in Wireshark. Could it be that the access point is working to slow (I also noticed that the access point was heating up pretty fast)? And is there any way to connect the console directly to the PC?

Thanks, Tim

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Tim,

18 minutes ago, LighterTim said:

But what I noticed was that as soon as Realizzer started sending replie's there was no ArtNetPoll from the console to be found in Wireshark.

With your current network setup, in Wireshark, you should see ArtPoll packets from FLX S every couple of seconds. 

18 minutes ago, LighterTim said:

Could it be that the access point is working to slow (I also noticed that the access point was heating up pretty fast)?

I wouldn’t have thought so, I certainly haven’t come across this myself. Even the simplest switches can support “10BaseT”, which should be good up to 40 universes of ArtNet. 

18 minutes ago, LighterTim said:

And is there any way to connect the console directly to the PC?

Yes, to do this simply connect the PC and console with a single Ethernet cable. For this you obviously won’t be able to use DHCP. 

Give this a go and let me know how you get on. 

Edward

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Edward- Z88 said:

Give this a go and let me know how you get on.

Unfortunately, it still doesnt work. I've set my PC to 2.1.1.1 and the console on 2.1.1.2, and it was the same result as with the switch. Realizzer is still sending with a limited broadcast and I have no Idea how to change that. The Console even says that there is 1 device connected but in SETUP -> Devices is nothing listed.

I might just look for antoher Visualizer and see if it works to rule out any Windows problems. Any recommendations?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Tim

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Tim,

17 hours ago, LighterTim said:

Unfortunately, it still doesnt work.

Hmm sorry to hear you're still struggling with this.

17 hours ago, LighterTim said:

The Console even says that there is 1 device connected but in SETUP -> Devices is nothing listed.

The 1 device will be the console itself - in ArtNet the console also counts as one of the connected devices.

17 hours ago, LighterTim said:

I might just look for antoher Visualizer and see if it works to rule out any Windows problems. Any recommendations?

Many others have had success connecting Realizzer with FLX S, so I'm not sure what the issue is here. Are you running the latest version of Realizzer?

Is there any window in Realizzer which shows ArtNet input? Is there any way of mapping ArtNet universes to Realizzer universes?

If you would like to try the version of Capture visualisation software we use for demonstrations and training, see below...

http://support.zero88.com/1004254221

If you have any questions let me know.

Edward

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Edward- Z88 said:

Are you running the latest version of Realizzer?

I am running the latest version in Demo Mode (A friend has an old license key, but I wanted to test it first), but it doesn't say on the website if Artnet is enabled within the demo or not. But It should be working, because it's not grayed out or anything.

 

8 hours ago, Edward- Z88 said:

Is there any window in Realizzer which shows ArtNet input?

There is a window which shows the current dmx values for each universe, but it never showed anything there while I was testing.

8 hours ago, Edward- Z88 said:

Is there any way of mapping ArtNet universes to Realizzer universes?

I asked google about it, but couldn't find anything.

 

8 hours ago, Edward- Z88 said:

If you would like to try the version of Capture visualisation software we use for demonstrations and training

I tried the student edition and it works fine over ArtNet and CITP which means the problem is caused somewhere within Realizzer.

Thanks,

Tim

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.