Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Problem to manage conventional projectors

slobelix

Hi and happy new year,

I have a FLX S24 light consol. 

I would like to control my conventional projectors which are themselves connected to a dimmer ( an anytronic contractor 24).

I do "add fixture"→"generic fixture"→"dimmer"

I enter my dmx addresses from 1 to 24 I validate and nothing happens.

However the projectors work on my old showtech sl 24 12 and i  have no  problem for patching the led on the flx s24.

Someone would have any idea ?

Thank 

Check the connection. Check the DMX output, the desk has two wich could be indepent. Check you have patched them to the right universe.

Look in the DMX Output window if the right dmx values where changend when you mopve the fixture faders up.

I use: Zero 88 FLX S48 / ETC ColorSource 40 / GLP Creation 4096 / Chamsys MQ70 / Madrix

1 hour ago, Erics said:

Check the connection. Check the DMX output, the desk has two wich could be indepent. Check you have patched them to the right universe.

Look in the DMX Output window if the right dmx values where changend when you mopve the fixture faders up.

thank you for your reply.
Unfortunately I already checked your recommendation and it did not work.
I only have one universe, when I patch leds everything is fine.
When I plug in the conventional dmx in another console it works too.

Okay, do you use ZerOS version 7.9.7 ?

Have you tried to dissable RDM support / “RigSync”?

It could be a problem with the DMX Transmission Feature: FLX & FLX S now include the option to transmit DMX as “Continuous” or “Delta” data

I had some isues with "Delta" Mode. I would recomanced to use Continuous mode since some fixtures don't like the delta mode when there is no dmx change in the data.

I use: Zero 88 FLX S48 / ETC ColorSource 40 / GLP Creation 4096 / Chamsys MQ70 / Madrix

On 1/6/2020 at 3:32 PM, Erics said:

Okay, do you use ZerOS version 7.9.7 ?

Have you tried to dissable RDM support / “RigSync”?

It could be a problem with the DMX Transmission Feature: FLX & FLX S now include the option to transmit DMX as “Continuous” or “Delta” data

I had some isues with "Delta" Mode. I would recomanced to use Continuous mode since some fixtures don't like the delta mode when there is no dmx change in the data.

Hi Eric, 

Thank your for you reply.

Indeed by updating the software it s already more complete

However, I still have no control over conventional lights.

I connected another dimmer with projector on my FLX S and ... It works.

I think i have more than to test all the inputs of the dimmer to see if the spotlights are in 1-24 or not.

I only see that as the problem.

Is this the dimmer? http://www.anytronics.com/assets/t2180-any-12-24-contractor-issue-2-0809--web2-.pdf http://www.anytronics.com/assets/contractor-24-dd06.pdf

Controlling a dimmer like this, which looks to be a perfectly sensible DMX dimmer, should be pretty much the simplest thing one can do and should pretty much work out of the box.

Erics has covered some relevant settings like RigSync that might not be compatible or supported by this dimmer.

Is the dimmer DMX address set to (say) 1 and the 24 dimmer fixtures you've patched at DMX address 1 through 24?

Have you terminated the DMX at the dimmer, or does the DMX chain continue to some other lights?

On 1/8/2020 at 12:49 PM, kgallen said:

Is this the dimmer? http://www.anytronics.com/assets/t2180-any-12-24-contractor-issue-2-0809--web2-.pdf http://www.anytronics.com/assets/contractor-24-dd06.pdf

Controlling a dimmer like this, which looks to be a perfectly sensible DMX dimmer, should be pretty much the simplest thing one can do and should pretty much work out of the box.

Erics has covered some relevant settings like RigSync that might not be compatible or supported by this dimmer.

Is the dimmer DMX address set to (say) 1 and the 24 dimmer fixtures you've patched at DMX address 1 through 24?

Have you terminated the DMX at the dimmer, or does the DMX chain continue to some other lights?

Yes, this is it.

Normally there is nothing problematic because it is quite simple.

I followed Eric's recommendations regarding the Rigsync that I deactivated.

I tried the addresses from 1 to 512 nothing responds.

The data light on the Anytronic dimmer does not turn on when I plug in the FLX so there is no communication.

When I plug in a very simple console (showtech sc 2412) it works ...

I tried plugging the FLX on RVE Cube dimmer and it works.

I think the problem is with the Anytronic dimmer.

Yes the terminated DMX is at the dimmer.

That Showtec desk has a "DMX polarity switch" (which is a really strange thing to have but probably dates back to the early DMX years when equipment compatibility was shaky). It's possible the DMX lead or connections within the Anytronics dimmer are reversed, because that dimmer has screw terminals not a 5-pin socket for the DMX connection.

A clue would be  the Showtec desk DMX polarity switch is in the "invert" position (this switch is on the back next to the two DMX sockets). This is the manual for the current version of the desk. It's in the document as "Polarity Switch (38)" https://assets.highlite.com/attachments/MANUAL/50710_MANUAL_GB_V2.pdf

I can see from your photo that there looks to be a patch lead wired in to the dimmer with an XLR on the end where you've presumably plugged in the desk.

You need to open up the dimmer (WITH THE POWER TO THE DIMMER ISOLATED OFF) and look at the wiring of the DMX connection lead into the dimmer screw terminals. The DMX data-plus should go to XLR pin 3 (5-pin or 3-pin XLR) and DMX data-minus should go to XLR pin 2. They may be reversed.

14 hours ago, kgallen said:

That Showtec desk has a "DMX polarity switch" (which is a really strange thing to have but probably dates back to the early DMX years when equipment compatibility was shaky). It's possible the DMX lead or connections within the Anytronics dimmer are reversed, because that dimmer has screw terminals not a 5-pin socket for the DMX connection.

A clue would be  the Showtec desk DMX polarity switch is in the "invert" position (this switch is on the back next to the two DMX sockets). This is the manual for the current version of the desk. It's in the document as "Polarity Switch (38)" https://assets.highlite.com/attachments/MANUAL/50710_MANUAL_GB_V2.pdf

I can see from your photo that there looks to be a patch lead wired in to the dimmer with an XLR on the end where you've presumably plugged in the desk.

You need to open up the dimmer (WITH THE POWER TO THE DIMMER ISOLATED OFF) and look at the wiring of the DMX connection lead into the dimmer screw terminals. The DMX data-plus should go to XLR pin 3 (5-pin or 3-pin XLR) and DMX data-minus should go to XLR pin 2. They may be reversed.

Thank you for your reply.

I also thought of polarity reversal when I wrote to you in my last message.

I will take a DMX 3 point and reverse the polarities it will be easier than opening the dimmer for now because it is used to light the room and when I am there there is always someone so it is impossible to cut the power .

I'll keep you informed.