Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Custom fixture

O Thompson

Hi folks,

Im tying to use the fixture editor to create a profile for a 4 par LED bar. In this case, the fixture is a stairville 2.5 clb, which is essentially 4 pars in 1 fixture. 

I have the DMX table showing the parameter control for each DMX ch, but im struggling with one part... the fixture works fine in 3 ch mode (RGB across all pars of the fixture), but when i try to use its 14ch mode (RGB of each individual par) i hit a wall. i cant seem to get the fixture to work with the colour pallets, only with the encoder wheels which are now set for each of the dmx parameters i have created using the editor. I have tried to get around this by using the sub fixtures option, but apparently 4 sub fixtures is too many? 

I have put in a request for a profile to be created, but does anyone have any insight into this? attached is the DMX ch assignment.

Thanks in advance.

image.thumb.png.6db1c36f65c50f6d69188a9f75c6ba64.png

If you want to control each LED Par with full color picker support you need so patch it as seprate fixtures. The first fixture for the global dimmer, 4 fixtures for the RGB LEDs and 1 for the strobe on channel 14. Perhaps it's useful ro use RGB with virtual dimmer.

In the moment the ZerOS don't support subfixture. There will be a new library in the future... Until than you have to patch each RGB(WA) Light as own fixture. Than you could use the effects as well.

I use: Zero 88 FLX S48 / ETC ColorSource 40 / GLP Creation 4096 / Chamsys MQ70 / Madrix

Hi Ollie,

Yes as Erics says unfortunately. I think the subfixture only works for something like lantern+scroller.

I had a loosely similar issue with a Showtec Shark Combi which is a combination of LED RGBW wash light and a profile with colour wheel. Edward made me a fixture (posted somewhere here on the forum) to handle this - but as you found the colour picker only works with one part, in my case with the RGBW wash part. The colour wheel is encoder only.

Kevin

so in essence, id need to create "sub fixtures" by patching manually on the desk...

For example i would patch ch1 as a "dimmer" for intensity and they patch a 3ch "LED" fixture for each sub fixture (2-13)? Hadnt thought of doing it this way. It may be faster to program than a single 14 ch fixture with encoder only control...

Thanks for the input

Yep that's right. Should work well for colour palettes and effects engine - see various posts on things like sunstrip where Edward/Jon have elaborated on using the effect engine across the "multi-fixture".

The time when this approach doesn't work so well is with a mover (or any mechanical-based system) because for move on dark to work the desk needs to associate the intensity channel with the other channels i.e. know it's "one fixture".

Sorry for slight thread hijack, but going back to the Combi spot I mentioned above, Edward's approach to handling this as a fixture definition is very insightful, so I'm going to post his email notes here with the fixture definition for the benefit of users like Ollie trying to create fixture definitions and deal with the newer fixtures that have multiple capabilities. With this Combi fixture, which is a mover with both wash and spot elements, I was keen to ensure move on dark worked correctly even though there are two intensity channels for the fixture...

Please find attached the fixture file for the Showtec Shark Combi Spot One in all modes…

The way I’ve done this is add the Spot and Wash dimmer parameters in under Beamshape, defaulted to full, and then scaled by Virtual Intensity. I have then created a Virtual Dimmer parameter these are scaled by. This means you can simply fade the master dimmer up, and both the spot and wash elements will fade on in white. When you use the fixture, you can then dial out the dimmer of the element you don’t want, meaning you will never have an issue with Move On Dark.

As a quick tip, a quick way of turning off one of these parameters is hold SHIFT and tap the parameter name on the touchscreen (eg. “SpotDim”), and then type @ 0 ENTER to complete the command.

Sorry again for the tangential thread grab!

Kevin

Showtec Combi Spot One UPDATE.ift