Zero 88 Community Support Forum
Mark Alington

Colour picker

This is an image I have created to load into our desk and which I use virtually exclusively for selecting colours for fittings.

The first row is a basic selection of bright colours; row 2 has a mix of colours (great for creating "random" colours); row 3 has pastels; row 4 is a fade from dark blue to white; row 5 is a traditional rainbow; row 6 is a rainbow of secondary colours; the last row is a variation of colour temperatures (great for blending with other light fittings).

I created this using Visio. Please feel free to use and share.

MA colour picker2.jpg

Hi Mark,

That's great, thanks for sharing.

If anyone else has any colour picker images like this they find useful, feel free to add them as a reply to share them.

Edward

Brilliant Mark, I like it and will "steal" it for my FLX!

Kevin

This topic got me thinking. Since you can upload any image to use as the colour picker I wondered if I could get Excel to generate images that are suitable.

Attached you will find examples of a first attempt at this. Now, be warned, I haven't tried these in my desk yet and the proportions haven't been adjusted to match the LCD screen so it may not work as I expected (I don't think there is any way for an image file to damage anything though).

There are two picker images. The two way picker has a "rainbow" down the left side and the same, but offset on the right. The intermediate colours fade from the colour on the left to the one on the right. The four way picker has different colours in the four corners, the intermediate colours in left and right columns fade from the top colour to the bottom one then the rows fade from left to right.

I have also included the Excel spreadsheet so you can try some for yourself. Note that this does include macros and, while I am confident that my laptop is malware free and the code doesn't access anything outside of Excel, I accept no responsibility for any damage it may cause or be perceived to cause on your systems.

Feedback on the usefulness of this would be very welcome as would suggestions to improve it.

To use, set all the cells to no fill first then, for a 2 way picker, set A1 to A16 and P1 to P16 to various fill colours then click the 2 way button or, for a 4 way picker, set the four corners to different fill colours (e.g. RGBW) and click the 4 way button.

You can use the Windows 10 snipping tool to save the resulting screen as an image that you can load on your desk.

4 way picker.JPG

2 way picker.JPG

Picker.xlsm

Hi David,

That's great, thanks for sharing. I have moved your post into this thread, so we can keep all the colour picker images together.

8 hours ago, Davidmk said:

Now, be warned, I haven't tried these in my desk yet and the proportions haven't been adjusted to match the LCD screen so it may not work as I expected (I don't think there is any way for an image file to damage anything though)

You won't damage the console by loading in an image file. If the file is corrupt, the console simply won't load it in. I have tested one of these images on a FLX and it loads in correctly.

Edward

Here's David's 4-way colour picker as above but without the selected cell aberration in case anyone wants to use these directly. Great work guys!!!

colour_picker_4way.PNG

Whoooww, infinite fun!

Grey-scale... hmmm does this have an application...!

grey_picker_4way.PNG

1 hour ago, kgallen said:

Grey-scale... hmmm does this have an application...

Excellent if you have an RGB fixture without an intensity 😉

Edward

On 11/22/2019 at 12:20 PM, Edward- Z88 said:

Edward

On 11/22/2019 at 12:20 PM, Edward- Z88 said:

Edward

Personnellement j'utilise celle-ci, simple et efficace.

rvb 3.jpg

This might be a bit too esoteric to be helpful for anyone else , but I'm finding this useful for a certain song from a musical about a multicoloured coat we're working towards just now... 😁

Joseph coat colours.jpg