Jump to content
Zero 88 Community Support Forum
SimonH

Artnet

Recommended Posts

Cant seem to get artnet or sacn to work. Any ideas?

 

edit, got sacn to work. What node are you using?

Edited by Afx
Success

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Afx said:

Cant seem to get artnet or sacn to work. Any ideas?

 

edit, got sacn to work. What node are you using?

It doesn't work on my desk and Edward organised a demo desk and it doesn't work on that one either. I was just wondering if anyone had upgraded the software and had it working.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got 7.9.5 to work with showtec 8/5 node using sacn. Ill have a look on artnet again when I get back. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just after I updated to 7.9.5, I tried to use Artnetominator to check it. My FLX showed up in Artnetominator, and Artnetominator showed up as a node on the FLX.  I couldn't see any levels though.  I need to have a bit more of a play.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎6‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 10:27 PM, CPlater1 said:

Just after I updated to 7.9.5, I tried to use Artnetominator to check it. My FLX showed up in Artnetominator, and Artnetominator showed up as a node on the FLX.  I couldn't see any levels though.  I need to have a bit more of a play.

did the universes show up in green on the LHS?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all,

As Simon mentions, he has discovered an issue where Art-Net data doesn't seem to be streaming. We haven't heard any other reports of this yet, so if you are experiencing the same issue please let us know.

On 6/27/2019 at 10:18 PM, Afx said:

Got 7.9.5 to work with showtec 8/5 node using sacn. Ill have a look on artnet again when I get back. 

AFX- that would be great if you could post back with your results.

On 6/27/2019 at 10:27 PM, CPlater1 said:

Just after I updated to 7.9.5, I tried to use Artnetominator to check it. My FLX showed up in Artnetominator, and Artnetominator showed up as a node on the FLX.  I couldn't see any levels though.  I need to have a bit more of a play.

Let us know whether you find there is an issue.

We are continuing to try and recreate this internally and struggling, which is very frustrating!

Will post back when we have more information on the issue. If you have any queries just let us know.

Edward

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry I haven't replied with an update on this, been a bit busy.  I will try to set everything up soon and test, if this would still be of interest?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello,

10 hours ago, CPlater1 said:

Sorry I haven't replied with an update on this, been a bit busy.  I will try to set everything up soon and test, if this would still be of interest?

After investigation, it turned out to be out of date firmware on Simon’s gateway which was the cause of the issue. 

ZerOS 7.9.6 has been released since this thread, so feel free to use this if you wish to test. 

Edward

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If have just try to connect my FLX S48 running Artnet enabled with ZerOS 7.9.6 and my PC with ArtNetominator. I can't see any packets in the Software.  The desk is sending dmx data on the second universe in the dmx monitor.

I see 16 Nodes in the ArtNetominator Software with the locale IP of the FLX. And the FLX shows me under Network Overview: Artnet 4 - 1 device connected.

So it seems that there is a data transfer. But i don't know if it's a bug of the PC software or if its a problem on FLX side.

Edit:

I opened Cpture on the PC and there you can see the Artnet Data comming in from the FLX. So it seems to be a bug on the ArtNetominator Software.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Erics,

I’m confident there isn’t an issue here with FLX nor ArtNetominator. 

In the ArtNet 4 protocol, FLX won’t start transmitting ArtDMX until a device asks for an ArtNet universe. ArtNetominator is purely acting as a “sniffer”, and is therefore not requesting a specific universe. 

You should find however if you have an ArtNet device on the network the ArtDMX would be shown in ArtNetominator. 

Any devices that are receiving ArtNet, will be shown on FLX in Setup -> Devices.

Hope this helps and makes sense, if you have any questions let me know. 

Edward

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello Edward,

do you think it is possible to implement the option to send anyway, like in art-net 3 before?

Because some Nodes do not request a universe too and do not work

since the 7.9.5 update. That would make it possible to use new ZerOS with older Nodes too.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Rolf,

Welcome to the Zero 88 Forum.

ArtNet 4 is fully backwards compatible. Hence nodes and gateways that support ArtNet 3 should still work with ArtNet 4. It is only if there is a firmware issue, like there was with the early firmware on the Transcension N4 gateway that Simon had issues with further up this thread, that will cause problems. We will therefore not be introducing an option to broadcast a universe, as this is forbidden in ArtNet 4 if there are no subscribers to the universe.

Are there any nodes in particular you have come across that are not compatible with ArtNet 4? If so it would be great to know what these are.

If you have any questions let us know.

Edward

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Edward,

there is a question coming up from my side, not having realised that this kind of behaviour exists.
I am just in the process of building an ART-Net device, which at the moment just acts as a listener.
This works fine with the "Aurora DMX" software on my Android tablet. I haven't tried on the FLX.

If I would like to have this device controlled from my FLX, would this mean I have to send a ART-Net subscribe packet first?
And how would it look like? Please point me to some place where this is described.

Thanks,
Martin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Martin,

The ArtNet specification can be found on Artistic Licence’s website below...

https://artisticlicence.com/WebSiteMaster/User Guides/art-net.pdf

Page 29 of the PDF discusses the ArtPollReply packet type, which is the packet a device replies to a console telling it universe information. 

If you have any questions let me know. 

Edward

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Edward,

thanks for the link. This will help.
Is there any chance to try this out with Phantom without having to purchase any license?
Haven't tried yet, just asking.

Martin

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/9/2019 at 6:11 PM, Edward- Z88 said:

Hi Rolf,

Welcome to the Zero 88 Forum.

ArtNet 4 is fully backwards compatible. Hence nodes and gateways that support ArtNet 3 should still work with ArtNet 4. It is only if there is a firmware issue, like there was with the early firmware on the Transcension N4 gateway that Simon had issues with further up this thread, that will cause problems. We will therefore not be introducing an option to broadcast a universe, as this is forbidden in ArtNet 4 if there are no subscribers to the universe.

Are there any nodes in particular you have come across that are not compatible with ArtNet 4? If so it would be great to know what these are.

If you have any questions let us know.

Edward

Hi Edward,

thank you for the welcome 🙂.

The node is an enttec datagate mk2 with older firmware.

Franck Tiesing already solved the problem with pointing to a firmware update.

The thing is, i am confused how the backward compatibility is broken, because ArtNet 4 spec tells, 

the changes from 3 to 4 are all backward compatible.

Do you know what is going wrong there on the protocol level?

Best wishes

Rolf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Rolf,

34 minutes ago, RolfG said:

The node is an enttec datagate mk2 with older firmware.

Franck Tiesing already solved the problem with pointing to a firmware update.

Thanks for the information. That is good to know.

34 minutes ago, RolfG said:

The thing is, i am confused how the backward compatibility is broken, because ArtNet 4 spec tells, 

the changes from 3 to 4 are all backward compatible.

Do you know what is going wrong there on the protocol level?

As a general rule, if a device is compliant with ArtNet 3, it will be compatible with ArtNet 4. If a device works with ArtNet 3 but is not necessarily compliant, there's no guarantee it will be compatible with ArtNet 4.

For more information, the ArtNet 4 specification can be found on Artistic Licence's website below...

https://artisticlicence.com/WebSiteMaster/User Guides/art-net.pdf

If you have any questions let me know.

Edward

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Edward- Z88 said:

Hi Rolf,

Thanks for the information. That is good to know.

As a general rule, if a device is compliant with ArtNet 3, it will be compatible with ArtNet 4. If a device works with ArtNet 3 but is not necessarily compliant, there's no guarantee it will be compatible with ArtNet 4.

For more information, the ArtNet 4 specification can be found on Artistic Licence's website below...

https://artisticlicence.com/WebSiteMaster/User Guides/art-net.pdf

If you have any questions let me know.

Edward

Hi Edward,

i have read the relevant parts of the art-net spec v3 and v4 and that is why i'm confused what is going on.

The only relevant difference i can find is the handling of nodes

with multiple outputs and overcoming the multi-homing problem with more than 4 Ports.

sACN conversion and OLA should not be a problem.

As the Enttec is stated as 1/2/3 compilant and was working with 7.9.4 and stopped working at 7.9.5,

i am curious, what the Enttec and others are doing wrong in the ArtPollReply?

Do you know what there happened?

Best wishes

Rolf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Rolf,

12 minutes ago, RolfG said:

As the Enttec is stated as 1/2/3 compilant and was working with 7.9.4 and stopped working at 7.9.5,

i am curious, what the Enttec and others are doing wrong in the ArtPollReply?

As previous versions of ZerOS allowed ArtNet to be broadcast, this prevents the need for devices to subscribe to a universe first.

ZerOS 7.9.5 introduced full ArtNet 4 support to ZerOS. I have tested a Transcension N4 Ethernet gateway with FLX running ZerOS 7.9.5, and a laptop running Wireshark on the same network. Wireshark showed that the ArtPollReply packet from the N4 was malformed, which was solved in later firmware versions of the N4. I am therefore not sure what the compatibility issue would have been with the ENTTEC Datagate. If you were interested I'd recommend contacting ENTTEC, and ask how the updated firmware solves the issue.

Edward

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Edward- Z88 said:

Hi Rolf,

As previous versions of ZerOS allowed ArtNet to be broadcast, this prevents the need for devices to subscribe to a universe first.

ZerOS 7.9.5 introduced full ArtNet 4 support to ZerOS. I have tested a Transcension N4 Ethernet gateway with FLX running ZerOS 7.9.5, and a laptop running Wireshark on the same network. Wireshark showed that the ArtPollReply packet from the N4 was malformed, which was solved in later firmware versions of the N4. I am therefore not sure what the compatibility issue would have been with the ENTTEC Datagate. If you were interested I'd recommend contacting ENTTEC, and ask how the updated firmware solves the issue.

Edward

Hi Edward,

i think now i get it.The problem is, that Art-Net 4 does not fall back to broadcast mode when no nodes subscribe correctly.

Then I still think it would be a good thing to have the option for old behaviour, to be able to run a show with older or problematic nodes just in case.

But maybe it does not happen as often as i fear. Then all is good.

Many thanks for your help with my problem Edward.

 

Best wishes and a nice christmas to you and all

Rolf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Rolf,

29 minutes ago, RolfG said:

Many thanks for your help with my problem Edward.

Best wishes and a nice christmas to you and all

No problem. Merry Christmas to you too!

Edward

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.