Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Effect for sea "movement"

kgallen

I need to create an effect on RGBW LEDs to depict (gentle) movement of the sea. In this instance I'll have 4 mover wash LEDs and 3 non-mover LEDs as backlights. ZerOS 7.9.5.

I think this would be a colour effect (and maybe but not necessarily a position effect for the movers - gentle side to side swoosh?) that uses probably an offset sine function to colour fade some mid-blues, paler-blues and whites. Can I pick your brains (Edward) on how this could be set up (then saved as an effect palette I presume)?

If it's good, maybe this could be added to the Auto Effects palette for 7.9.6 as "Water" to go with the new "Fire" 😊

Thanks as ever!

Kevin

ps My movers don't have any usable gobo functions for this - they are Showtec Shark Wash and Shark Combi-Spot (you made me the fixture definition).

hello Kevin,

you use ZerOS 7.9.5 ?

You've no problem ?

I m too afraid to do the update and have too much problems after. I Have big performance every week... And can take the risk to haven't a FLX ready to work...

What do you do in your Job ? Working in a theater ? Other ?

1 FLX + 1 wing  "7.14" + 1  FLX "7.13" & 3 Wings  / 2 Touchscreen  // Jester 24/48 

2 Swisson XND-4R5 ENode  // Stairville : 5 Wash MZH 19X15w  - 31 Retro Flat Par 18X 12w RGBW 

Electroconcept : 36 Wash 18 X 10w Q188 //  ADJ 2 Spot Focus 4Z & 2 Spot Focus 5Z Led 200w  - VARYTEC : 12 Varytec Hero Wash 300 FC

LedStage : 5 PARWASH 19 X 15w // 10 Spot 200w // 19 Wash Par 12 X 18W   // 2 BOWLDER 12X40w WASH // 11 PARZOOM 19 X 15w

It looks like the Shark Combi-Spot has some gobos that could help provide some texture? Overlap the beams and ensure they're out of focus. You could then play with adding in some "animation" but I'm not sure Pan and Tilt are the correct option. Maybe try adding a sine wave to the focus parameter just to bring the gobo in an out of focus (although never a hard focus). Potentially a slight intensity effect too.

With the LEDs, you could try putting a small sine effect on the Green and Blue channels just to slowly pulse them slightly, and offset that across the fixtures - probably randomly, but maybe see if offsetting them in order helps suggest movement. Give the Green and Blue parameters slightly different speed and sizes from each other so you don't always get exactly the same shades.

Jon Hole
Global Product Manager, Systems and Control