Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Switch between FLX / Mac OS (Capture) / Wifi hotspot

van den abbeele Eric

Hello 

Just need a clarification.
Until now I had an Ethernet cable crossed between the MACBOOKPRO and the FLX.

But I want to be able to use an Ethernet switch. Because I want to take a Wifi kiosk in a few week, wich to control the FLX with Iphone or Ipad.

So to go from the FLX to the Switch and the switch to the computer, I take straight or crossed cables?

thank you so much

Eric

1 FLX + 1 wing  "7.14" + 1  FLX "7.13" & 3 Wings  / 2 Touchscreen  // Jester 24/48 

2 Swisson XND-4R5 ENode  // Stairville : 5 Wash MZH 19X15w  - 31 Retro Flat Par 18X 12w RGBW 

Electroconcept : 36 Wash 18 X 10w Q188 //  ADJ 2 Spot Focus 4Z & 2 Spot Focus 5Z Led 200w  - VARYTEC : 12 Varytec Hero Wash 300 FC

LedStage : 5 PARWASH 19 X 15w // 10 Spot 200w // 19 Wash Par 12 X 18W   // 2 BOWLDER 12X40w WASH // 11 PARZOOM 19 X 15w

Hi Eric and Jon,

does not every Ethernet switch nowadays have a auto-negotiation function and can detect if there is a cross or not cross cable connected?
I work a lot in this topic and I think it does. So in my opinion it shouldn't matter which cable you use. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Martin

Hi Martin,

I almost went down this route in my reply, but thought that it was adding unnecessary complexity.

It’s certainly true that a lot of devices do - the MacBook Pro certainly, and probably the switch. However, I couldn’t guarantee this, and “correct procedure” would be to use a crossover cable in this situation.

Jon Hole
Global Product Manager, Systems and Control

Thank you both for this answer ...

1 / Second question, on the side of the switch is it necessary to take one that can be parameterized? Or a standalone switch will work without worries?

2 / This brings another question on a wifi terminal.

IF so I have a cross cable between FLX and the Switch
Cross cable between Switch and MAc.
I imagine that for the Wifi terminal, it will be the same.
Cross cable of the switch to the WIFI terminal?

thank 

Eric

1 FLX + 1 wing  "7.14" + 1  FLX "7.13" & 3 Wings  / 2 Touchscreen  // Jester 24/48 

2 Swisson XND-4R5 ENode  // Stairville : 5 Wash MZH 19X15w  - 31 Retro Flat Par 18X 12w RGBW 

Electroconcept : 36 Wash 18 X 10w Q188 //  ADJ 2 Spot Focus 4Z & 2 Spot Focus 5Z Led 200w  - VARYTEC : 12 Varytec Hero Wash 300 FC

LedStage : 5 PARWASH 19 X 15w // 10 Spot 200w // 19 Wash Par 12 X 18W   // 2 BOWLDER 12X40w WASH // 11 PARZOOM 19 X 15w

• van den abbeele Eric changed the title to Switch between FLX / Mac OS (Capture) / Wifi hotspot