Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Fat frog chases reset to 0

leon024

We recently updated our school desk to FROG OS 10.12 and now chases seem to be broken. If I try to make one, I can program the steps fine, but when I scroll down it doesn't "save" it. Iirc, what used to happen was it would have a preview of the chase and run it through, but now everything that is modified will reset to 0(p/t/gobo/colour/bs etc) and even when you press finish, it will just act like a scene with all values at 0. Even the chases that were previously programmed did this.

If it helps, the desk is a Fat Frog with version 10.12. We had replaced the battery maybe 3 months ago so  there shouldn't be a problem with that. the fixtures are MAC 250 Kryptons.

Hi Leon,

This doesn't ring any bells with me - I know there was an issue a bit like this in 10.10 (maybe 10.9) but that was fixed in 10.12.

Are you in Full mode, rather than one of the Partial modes?

With having a read of the Release Notes for the desk, there is quite a bit of detail in here for the changes from 9.2 through 10.12 (you don't say what version you upgraded from).

https://eaton.nanorep.co/storage/nr1/kb/2AD62C9/3879A76B/3A210339/32/FrogOS Release Notes v10.12.pdf

Good idea to change the battery - always a good start!

Kevin

Thanks for replying.

I'm in Partial mode with tracking and replay tag set to off, and the others to channel, and the previous OS was version 10.4, so quite a large jump.

I was looking through the changelog, and I think the problem is with 8.5 Replaying memories(Tracking)

For channels which are used by the stack but do not have a tracked level (because that channel is
not programmed in a previous memory), then the desk will output Memory Zero, which contains
zero for brightness channels, and the Home value for LTP channels

This might be what's happening, but not sure.

Also, could you clarify on what it means by memory stack/playback stack? Do memories inherit features of the memory before it (say mem1 has colour yellow and mem2 has an edited position, mem2 would be the position but with yellow colour?)

I'll do some testing tomorrow and update back. I'll also try to include images and gifs.

It’s possibly the replay tag off. Once you hit PROGRAM all the tagging is cleared (this is noted in one of the release note entries I seem to recall) and because replay tag is off when you play back the state no tags are set. This means only changes you make get tagged. When you were programming states did you get any pop up message saying nothing to record?

Their term playback stack will refer to the cues programmed under the GO button and possibly also any chase in a memory or transferred to a sub master. 

Maybe try programming your chase with replay tagging on.

Regards your question with mem1 and mem2, yes the yellow would be ‘tracked’ from mem1 because it isn’t recorded (tagged) in mem2. (You do say tracking is "off" but I can't remember what this means in partial mode - because for any state where some parameter is not recorded, the desk needs to have "something" to output on the DMX stream and practically this would be Home or the last value programmed - I'd have to re-read the Release Notes to remember the difference!)

Got it. It's the master slider of playback X. for whatever reason, when it's at 0 chases will pause, and I'm 100% sure that wasn't the case. I completely missed this in the changelogs, but I checked again and it's 5378

Chases, movement effects and FROG effects on the Playback X now stop when the Playback
X Master fader is lowered, or the Grand Master fader is lowered, or Blackout is active.

I was about to give up and was playing around with phantom frog and stumbled upon it accidentally haha.

I included a gif of what happens anyways in case you want to know