Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Trigger Cues Externally

darklingChaz

Hi guys,

I'm about to buy a FLX 24 for my theatre group and I think it's going to be pretty much the perfect fit to replace our complex LCEdit pc based operating. However, the only concern is that there doesn't seem to be any way to trigger the desk to fire a cue... I would usually use Midi to do this, but I understand that neither S24 or S48 have a midi port. 

Is there a way to trigger cues externally?

(I've been looking at the possibility of MIDI over ethernet, but I don't know whether the desk will react to it)

Regards,

Chaz

Hi Chaz,

Currently there's no way to trigger the console other than via the console itself, or via one of our Apps.

The full size FLX includes MIDI Show Control, MIDI Timecode and Close Contact support.

Jon

Jon Hole
Global Product Manager, Systems and Control

57 minutes ago, darklingChaz said:

is there a possible an api that can be called? (I'm assuming that the app must interact in some fashion)

There's no API for the app - behind the scenes, our apps work more like a "Remote Monitor" - with the console doing all the processing, and the app purely displaying what the console defines and sending touch X/Y coordinates back to the console.

57 minutes ago, darklingChaz said:

Or plans to add functionality to that effect? 

We're investigating various options, including MIDI over USB & Ethernet, OSC, Art-Net triggers etc - but none of them are currently timetabled (and, therefor, not guaranteed).

Jon Hole
Global Product Manager, Systems and Control

1 hour ago, darklingChaz said:

I'm about to buy a FLX 24 for my theatre group

Prices for these things seem to vary wildly. Make sure you get some proper quotes rather than looking at web prices! CTS seem quite competitive (my FLX came from here):

https://shop.centraltheatresupplies.co.uk/zero-88-flx-s24512-lighting-console-5473-p.asp

Which ever one you get I think you'll like it! Don't rule out the "full" FLX though...!

https://shop.centraltheatresupplies.co.uk/zero88-flx-4285-p.asp

(these are ex-VAT prices)