Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Creating Chases directly onto Submasters

Stu

S'up

I did a conference last week down in deepest darkest Devon with a Bullfrog and one thing jumped out at me as being a bit annoying!

When trying to creatre chases onto Submasters (i.e. being in Submaster mode, having an empty one to dump it onto), holding down the Mem Type button did diddly squat.

I was reliably informed by a friend via a frantic phone call that "oh no, you have to do it to a cue, then copy with no time (or whatever it was, forgotten now) to a Submaster".

Ah. Surely it must be possible to do this in Submaster mode by a bit of a rewrite in the software?

Of course, if I'm being stupid, do say and refer me to the right page in the Manual / post on this forum. I could be blind, I read the manual thru twice, but I'm pretty sure I've not missed anything!

Cheers

Stu

As far as I'm aware you can't directly create chases on submasters.

It is quite simple though to create the chase as a memory and then transfer with time to a submaster.

Create the chase as a memory, then press the transfer with time button. Then use the page up and down buttons and the submaster flash buttons to select a sub then press enter.

As far as I know that's the only way to put chases onto submasters, though I do agree with you that it would be quite nice to be able to program them straight on.

sp

Yep this is what I ended up doing.... Altho it's just quite frankly a pain in the neck when your trying to program quickly...

Not sure why on earth I posted this in this part of the forum - so I can see a move comming tomorrow! sorry :oops: hehe

Stu

Well it was a conference with a gig in the middle of the week (with some Mac 500 and 600s) so some flashy, moving around the room stuff was required! :)

But I could have done a nice slow anamorphic chase to slowly change colours on set, banners, walls etc for instance had the event called for it :)

HTH

Stu

When trying to creatre chases onto Submasters (i.e. being in Submaster mode, having an empty one to dump it onto), holding down the Mem Type button did diddly squat.

I was reliably informed by a friend via a frantic phone call that "oh no, you have to do it to a cue, then copy with no time (or whatever it was, forgotten now) to a Submaster".

Ah. Surely it must be possible to do this in Submaster mode by a bit of a rewrite in the software?

With the current software, chases have to be programmed as memories and then transferred onto the required submaster.

Because of the difference in internal data structures between memories and submasters, and the fact that a chase memory has additional parameters (modifiers) etc. being able to program a chase directly onto a submaster would be significantly more than quote "a bit of a rewrite in the software ?"

This subject has been raised before, but when we did the last feature update (version 9.0), there were more important features relating to submasters which we changed giving greater flexibility on the desk.

K-Nine : Technically Advanced Roving Dog In Space

Bran Media | Myspace

Because of the difference in internal data structures between memories and submasters, and the fact that a chase memory has additional parameters (modifiers) etc. being able to program a chase directly onto a submaster would be significantly more than quote "a bit of a rewrite in the software ?"

K-Nine,

Thanks for the quick response!

I didn't realise it'd be quite so hard to achieve this, so I take it back! Looks like I'll have to put up with the slow way :)

Cheers once again for the reply!

Stu