Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

'Beat' Chases on submasters

sp

Hi,

Whilst trying out the beat drive modifier on our bullfrog, I've found something which appears to be a slight hinderance, im not sure...

Once a chase memory, using the beat drive, has been transferred to a submaster, when that sub is raised the chase stays on step 1 and does not run at all.

If you use the subs' step button it doesn't do anything.

The only way to get the chase to run i've found is to cycle through the drive options back to the beat option, and then the step button is effective and you can set the beat. - Is this supposed to be the case or have I again missed something obvious?

sp

Hi SP,

When you selected the beat chase did you make sure that the leds for both "Bass" & "Man" were on, as there were only the four drive options before the latest soft ware upgrade and to signify that "beat" has been selected both these leds must be on. If you only had the "Bass" selected then you would need a signal from a sound source connected to the desk in order for the chase to run and this might explain why you chase stayed on step 1 when you ran it on a sub

The LEDs were both on but I think I may have sussed it now...

I remembered that live changes (i.e changing the drive whilst live on the sub) you make are temporary, so if the original chase memory wasn't 'beat' then the sub it was transferred to wouldn't be when it was raised!

I do like the timed fades now on the subs instead of the manual!

Thanks for your quick help though Jazzy, much appreciated

sp

Correct, the live adjustment of chase modifiers is a temporary adjustment.

When a chase memory is run again (from the playback X, submaster or SX button) it will run according to it's programmed modifiers.

To permanently change a chase's modifiers, you need to edit the chase memory itself.

K-Nine : Technically Advanced Roving Dog In Space

Bran Media | Myspace

Hi,

I was wondering is there any way to set up a certain scene on the submasters (not on the presets themselves) whilst another is being output? Like you can use the 'A stored, B faders...' kind of thing, but using the subs?

For example I may have chases (on subs) running for a rock group, but then get the setup ready for the compare (again on sub), before the group has finished.

Is it possible?

sp

You can program channel/fixture data directly onto a submaster if you wish. That data will be output when the submaster fader is raised or the flash button pressed.

The generic and fixture brightness channels will be mixed in HTP, any fixture colour, beam or position data will be output LTP.

Bran Media | Myspace

Ok, im not quite sure if my question has been answered or not

Say for example, I have a setup as follows:

Sub 1: Compare

Sub 2: Compare Backlight

Sub 3: Parcan Chase

Sub 4: Colour wash

Sub 5: Source 4s on stage

So if say I had 3,4,5 up for the rock group, could i put 1 and 2 up BEFORE the group had finished but where they didn't actually show? You know like you can switch the A and B master faders for this kind of thing on the presets?

My reason for wanting to do this is that if I need to put a lot of subs down after an act and get some subs up for the compare - all so its nice and smooth (lots down simultaneously etc.) how could I do it?

sp

If you are only using submasters, then the answer, unfortunately, is no. As soon as you move submasters faders 1,2 up they will begin outputting whatever data is programmed onto them.

However, if the data you have recorded onto subs 1 and 2 is only generic channels - you could always set up the same 'scene' that you require on the preset faders, and then raise the A or B Master as appropriate, at the required time.

Bran Media | Myspace