Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Preset Faders as Haze/House Light control

BigDick

Is there a way using the two now redundant preset faders to control items such as Haze Machines or Houselights without them getting plotted in a cue stack? If not could this be added?

I am taking my two trusty Leapfrog 48s to about 165 UK theatres and around 30 European theatres this year and in everyone I have trouble when updating my show plot during the afternoon where I will be running haze at a high level when updating the plot at each venue so I'll end up recording the haze machine in which I don't want to do as I'd rather keep this independent. My work around in this situation is to delete the haze machine from the desk altogether (I like to run on faders 47 and 48) and add them again just before the house opens ensuring they didn't end up being programmed on any playbacks, however it it is a house light fader that has maybe 20 DMX addresses on It its a pain. I need to keep the house lights up whilst plotting during the afternoon but don't want them getting recorded. The purest master faders are sitting not used in the desk mode that I'm running and these would make ideal independent faders.

It would be easy to setup by either holding the setup button and then pressing the Preset A/B button or when patching fixtures in the setup items could be assigned to fader A or B. 

Thanks.

Hi, the Preset Master Faders are still used, but only when the console isn't in "Wide Mode". It's not possible to change their functionality.

There's no "exclusive" option for Playbacks on the Leapfrog 48s, but you can use the "Inhibit" function.

Record the Haze machine at full output onto a Playback, go to the Playback settings and enable "Inhibit". This allows you to record the Haze machine at full into all your cues, but have a dedicated "Master" for the Haze machine... which would give you a similar result as you're looking for, just in a different way.

Jon

Jon Hole
Global Product Manager, Systems and Control

On the 48 I have a slight shortage of Playbacks as it is. The two spare faders next to the Grand Master doing nothing would be my ideal solution.

Off topic but just to add thank god that you no longer need a PC to run the software updates. When did this change? Who do I need to thank!?

Thanks again Folks.  

17 hours ago, BigDick said:

When did this change?

It was introduced with FLX two years ago, and then transitioned over to the rest of the ZerOS range last year.

17 hours ago, BigDick said:

Who do I need to thank!?

Ultimately, you can probably trace it back to my next door neighbor who convinced me to purchase a Mac all the way back in 2005!! :lol:

Jon Hole
Global Product Manager, Systems and Control