Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

How to setup "Home" for different types of fixtures

Edi

I know that the values for Home can be changed by recording the values from the programmer to the home button by pressing REC followed by HOME.

But what if I want to have different HOME values for different fixture types?

For example the position for MH's on the back truss shall differ from those on the front truss and so on...

Is there a possibility to keep them separate per fixture type? Same applies for setting MAX Levels and DEFAULTS.

It seems that I'm missing the "Edit Fixture" option in the setup, which is explained in the FLX manual and has been replaced by the new Fixture Schedule. ..

Hi Edi,

Just setup all the fixtures how you want them to be, and then press RECORD HOME.

The home positions are stored per fixture, so when you press RECORD HOME, the current values for each individual fixture will be recorded (based upon usual recording rules of tagging, snapshot etc)

Jon Hole
Global Product Manager, Systems and Control

Thanks Jon for the explanation.

I understand how this is thought to be done, but I think I'd also like to have an overview of the home, default and limit values in an editable table style. Sure the home of one fixture can be edited when you select all fixtures, recall their home values, change the one fixture you'd like to adjust and again record it to home.

But what if you'd like to raise the limited dimmer value of a fixture from e.g. 60% to 80% in the MaxValues? Do you first have to delete all MaxValues so you can set the intensity over its limit and afterwards redo all the limiting for all fixtures? I think this would be much easier in a table, also to have a quick answer why a light is just not as bright as it could be.

13 hours ago, Edi said:

Sure the home of one fixture can be edited when you select all fixtures, recall their home values, change the one fixture you'd like to adjust and again record it to home.

But what if you'd like to raise the limited dimmer value of a fixture from e.g. 60% to 80% in the MaxValues? Do you first have to delete all MaxValues so you can set the intensity over its limit and afterwards redo all the limiting for all fixtures?

This is really easy - as long as you're in Tracking Mode, and haven't got "Smart Tag" or "Snap Shot" enabled, you just set the channel to the level you want, RECORD HOME {Max Value} and only that channel will be updated - all the other channels will be left as they were. This is what I meant when I said "based upon usual recording rules of tagging, snapshot etc"

Jon Hole
Global Product Manager, Systems and Control

Thanks Jon,

I had some misunderstanding in my thoughts. I have not been aware, that I'm able to raise the intensity over the MaxValue, but I tried it on PhantomZerOS and saw, that only the output is limited but the target value for the intensity can go beyond that limit.

Tracking (difference between basic / advanced) and "Smart Tagging" are really two topics which could need some visuals (e.g. flowchart) for easier understanding...
I know this has already been discussed a lot, but I don't think that I've already completely got it....

Am I right with following understanding?

- Snapshot: All fixtures and all attributes of them with their current values are recorded as they are NOW, independently if the fixtures are selected or the attributes are tagged (WYSIWYG)

- SmartTag (without tracking): All fixtures with an intensity above 0 get recorded with all of their current attribute values independently if the fixtures are selected or the attributes are tagged (this is like a snapshot, but excludes all the fixtures with intensity @ 0)

- SmartTag (with tracking): All fixtures with an intensity above 0 get recorded independently if the fixtures are selected, but only those attributes which have changed (the direction in which a changed attribute value is preserved depends on track forward / backward / both / cue only)

What's the difference between basic / advanced tracking?

Jon's offline now, I'll have a go before he comes back and explains properly. I think you've got the desk modes slightly inside out. This is my understanding from asking similar questions:

Non-tracking = snapshot = record everything always. Like Full mode on the Frog series if you had one of those and how most "basic" memory desks operate. This generally works fine if you've only got generics/dimmer channels.

Basic tracking = Tracking + SmartTag on (SmartTag=record changes for fixtures with intensity>0%). Unless you're doing something special and you're using the desk in say a theatre, then you'll probably live in this mode as "it just works".

Advanced tracking = Tracking with SmartTag off -> user has to manually control all tagging and thus is in full control of what gets recorded. So far I've not had to go here...

Kevin