Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

FAT32 or NTFS for USB stick to record and transfer shows

Uriahdemon

Evening all.

It seems my FLX desk will only recognise a FAT32 formatted USB stick. The problem is that my PC (Win7) gives me the bothersome problem of not copying files with all its properties if being copied to a FAT32 formatted USB stick.

Has anyone else come across this problem and if so how do you get around it please....??

42 minutes ago, Uriahdemon said:

my PC (Win7) ... not copying files with all its properties if being copied to a FAT32 formatted USB stick.

I've not encountered this problem on Win7 or Win10. Please can you explain exactly what's not getting copied across?

Jon Hole
Global Product Manager, Systems and Control

3 hours ago, Uriahdemon said:

Are you saying that I should ignore the prompt i.e. copying without all properties......??

We just need as much information as possible please. For example, a screenshot of that prompt ?

Jon Hole
Global Product Manager, Systems and Control

Windows 7 will want to be copying the files from its NTFS system with the attendant security information and flags and so will be issuing the warning because FAT filesystems doesn't carry that data (from memory they use an 8 bit field to set read/write permissions) whereas NTFS uses a a larger file header).

It's a warning issued so that in a corporate environment - file security and ownership is maintained across several users - for you and your FLX, it's not an issue and you can ignore the prompt.

Ian Knight aka The Service Guy - www.serviceguy.co.uk