Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Varilite VL1000TS not working correctly

Jimbob

Hi

I have an Orb running 7.9.2 when I Hook up the VL1000TS it doesn't operate lights and when I select light and try the Pan and Tilt Wheels nothing happens but when I use the Intensity wheel it rotates the light. Any Idea's ? I am going to load the previous software version onto the Desk to see if that works.

Hi Jimbob,

This is not a software issue so don't worry back-dating.

This sounds like a DMX addressing issue where your patched fixture start address in the console doesn't match the fixture's start address. You also need to make sure your fixture is in the same channel mode as what you have in the console (channel count footprint).

You can check your patch within SETUP -> Patch Overview.

Edward

Hi Edward

Thanks for your input unfortunately I am not too up to speed with what to do. I have looked and don't have a edit patch menu do you mean edit fixture ? I know there is something not right I have a 48 channel conventional rig and 2 VL1000TS and the first VL1000 has a DMX address of 50 and the desk says the next available DMX address is 51 which I know is not right. Could you give me a guide on what to do ? The light doesn't have any settings for changing DMX mode

Thanks

Hi Jimbob,

To look at your patch go into SETUP -> Patch Overview (corrected in previous post).

As this fixture is a "Multipart Fixture" it has to be assigned its control functions separately to its dimmer address. To do this go into SETUP -> Edit Fixtures -> Patch on the desk and scroll down to your VL1000s. You will notice that only their intensity is patched sequentially. You will have to find out on the fixture what their control Start addresses are and match those addresses on the console (Clicking ADD next to the control part of the fixture within the Edit Patch Window, and typing in the address).

This is why your next available channel is 51 as your first VL1000 intensity is on DMX 49, and the other on DMX 50.

If you are yet to do any programming try this show file...

48 Generics 2 VL1000.isf

This has your generics DMX 1-48, VL1000 intensities on 49 and 50, and then the control of your first VL1000 starting at 51, and the second starting at 78.

The link below takes you to the VL1000 TS manual. Page 29 talks you through how to change the DMX address. This is done using the menu system in the base of the fixture.

http://www.vari-lite.com/clientuploads/directory/downloads/VL1000_User_D.pdf

Edward