Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Frog is totally dead

Gurrkan98

Hello,

I work as a light designer at my school and we now have a problem with our Frog Zero 88 (disk drive).

Probably after a electricspike (during a night with a lot of thunder and lightning) the Frog won't boot up. When I plug in power all buttons lights up and that's is how far it goes. There is no signal to the screen and the desk won't boot. I have checked the power supply and it works, the LED on the motherboard is turned on while inserting the power.

After having the PSU connected a while the processor turns hot so I assume something is working.

All help is really appreciated.

Best regards

Gustav

Gustav

The issue sounds sadly as though the spike has travelled along the mains earth through the PSU and on to the mainboard of your Frog and whilst there is protection for ordinary "noise" - it won't withstand a spike of the magnitude a lightning strike is likely to induce.

Sad to say - your Frog is likely not able to be repaired - the main board was discontinued many years ago in favour of the board used in the Solution series and Zero don't have the spares or means to effect repairs to the mainboard.

To be sure that this is the case - you need to get your Frog to a Zero88 authorised repair centre who will be able to check this but from your description it sounds to me as though its likely to be terminal :(

Ian Knight aka The Service Guy - www.serviceguy.co.uk