Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Colour & Beamshape Effects generator

ice

Really kind of stupid I haven't thought of this one before; but why limit the effects generator for pan/tilt purposes only??? As we see on other desks it can be used for all parameters. Ok, here comes the partial programming discussion again I guess; but I really can't figure out why you'd build an effects generator (powerfull thing!) and link it to the position of fixtures; I think you would have gained more profit by using it everywhere.

> 500 posts, time for a new T-shirt? ;)

The effects generator was specifically designed as a MOVEMENT effect generator, and consequently applies the additional parameters, effect, sizes, offset, rotation and speed to the Pan and Tilt parameters of the moving light fixtures.

Note than pan and tilt are different to other parameters; they have to be defined as such, they are always processed internally as 16 bit values, and the movement effects operate on them as a pair.

K-Nine : Technically Advanced Roving Dog In Space

Bran Media | Myspace

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
And i still want a colour/beamshape/brightness effect generator! :D

What would expect such effect generators to do ?

Would there be different effects engines for brightness (which is processed HTP) and colour and beamshape (which are processed LTP) ?

Would these effects work on single fixture parameters or several fixture parameters at the same time ?

How would the user interface look for such effects ?

Bran Media | Myspace

You can have some random colorchases, dimchases, ... like the avolites-effectgenerator(120 different effects) or is this not possible due to the attribute-level programming.

Maybe an idea for the FROG2?

If your fixtures have CMY colour mixing you could always try the FROG function on thsose parameters ... since that would provide a random colour chase :D

Bran Media | Myspace

I know K-nine, but let's say you have 24 mac250 and you want a random white/yellow colourchase, how long would this take to program??? And you want the same with other colors as well, it would take far to much time.

And as you know we never have time :D

Den Pipo

Pro Light Design

maybe i shouldn't use the word random with color but with the fixtures if you know what i mean (or not :D ), the effect should randomly choose the fixtures that have to be white or yellow. If you don't know what i mean someone please help me :D

Den Pipo

Pro Light Design

maybe i shouldn't use the word random with color but with the fixtures if you know what i mean (or not :D ), the effect should randomly choose the fixtures that have to be white or yellow. If you don't know what i mean someone please help me :D

This sounds like a different type of effect altogether than simply transferring what we do with movement onto colour or beamshape.

I don't think we are likely to add much in the way of new functionality to the existing Frog series of desks at the moment, but these suggestions are very useful in determining the types of functions we should be thinking of including on larger desks :wink:

Bran Media | Myspace

and what about an FX for brightness? Like random flashing fixtures, pair/unpair,...

Next generation?

It's just because i know a lot of hire companies and operators who think it's a very good desk for it's price but don't want to buy it because of the limited effectgenerator.

Other desks in this category have that effectgenerator but then they are limited on other functions (leprecon).

Den Pipo

Pro Light Design

Various effects on brightness, colour and beamshape is something we will be looking at for the next generation of desks ... I don't have any further details at the moment as we are still in the specification/design phase of development.

Hopefully, if we get the user interface right we can then add other 'effects' in later software versions :)

Bran Media | Myspace

You're missing the point!

24 fixtures; now programmed like:

step1: fix1 = white, fix 2-24 = yellow

step2: fix1= yellow, fix2 = white, fix3-24 = yellow

step3: fix1-2=yellow, fix3=white, fix4-24 = yellow

and so on... programming a few of these effects (cool effects!) is duck, but outcome is great; that could be done a lot quicker with somekind of effect generator (or chase-generator?)

Obviously, now you have explained the type of effect you mean I can see how such an effects engine or automatic chase generator would save a lot of plotting time.

The example you have given above is not a random chase which was mentioned originally and therefore confused me 8O

What you describe is a specific algorithm (effect) based on a number of fixtures (presumably of the same type), a single colour parameter (?) and a number of different values (in this case two - white and yellow).

Such an 'effect' would presumably be plotted as a 24 step chase on the current desks.

Bran Media | Myspace

Correct... and when such a chase is set up, a random option would discard the sequence, but turn a fixture white by random; so you'll never know which one it'll be... would be a great effect indeed.

Next desk with partial programming is so gonna rock :P

This would be a cool idea but something more likely to be included on frog 2 not the current versions simply because to do it without becoming too complicated it would probably need physical buttons on the desk.

Still it would be possible to implement on the current range.

Sam