Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Desperate Fixture Profile Request

Lampie Leight

Hi Guys,

I'm desperate to get a fixture profile for the following 2 fixtures.

I have had basic profiles created from the team here but they only give access to choose the programmed colours and effects yet the colours can be control via RGB to mix any colour. It's so frustrating to not be able to mix your colours to match the scenes you have created. I currently can't use the Show Bars because of this and I've had them over 1 year now and my use of the Truss Lights is limited.

I've had a go at creating the profiles myself to no avail (I am a newbie at this so there's no surprise there). All I want to do is mix my own colours via the control wheels.

I've attached the manuals to both fixtures so if anyone could help a frustrated volunteer i would be forever in your debt.

Many thanks

Leighton

Hi Leighton,

What sort of control do you want to get from the ShowBar Tri?

Because this fixture has the ability to be put in 54 channel mode for RGB control of each LED.

If you just want RGB control of the whole unit, put it into 3 channel RGB mode, and you can patch it as a generic RGB fixture.

To do this on a ZerOS console go into Patch Wizard, and the first option in the list is "Generic Fixtures". Next select LED Unit. You can scroll through the "Generic" combinations of standard LED fixtures. Simply select RGB 3 channel, patch it, and you can now use the encoder wheels, and also colour picker etc.

If you do however want the fixture in 54 channel mode for full pixel control, let me know.

Attached is the fixture file for the Varytec Truss Light COB LED:

Varytec Truss Light COB LED.ift

This is with the fixture in 7 channel mode.

Edward

Hi Edward,

Thanks for such a quick response.

I will give this a try next week and I assume this is the same for the Truss Lights also?

If the 54 channel mode could be created that would be fantastic as this is the reason we bought this fixture. I'm currently running the DMX cables in for them as I'm putting them on their own universe. I would love to be able to start using them in this mode for Easter if possible Edward?

Many, many thanks

Leighton

Having a look at the manual of the Stairville ShowBar Tri the most effective way to use this fixture in 54 channel mode is to imagine each of the 18 LEDS is an individual fixture. Therefore you will need to patch 18 of the Generic RGB fixtures I mentioned in the previous post, per Stairville ShowBar Tri.

The file for the Varytec fixture is attached to the previous post.

Edward

So yes you would need to patch 72 fixtures. What console are you using?

On a Solution/ Leapfrog series console I would put each bank of 18 fixtures on a separate page of fixture positions on the MFKs, resulting in each Stairville fixture with its own dedicated page.

Its just a different way of thinking, you either have lots of individual fixtures you can quickly call up with the command line for example, or you have few fixtures, however each containing 18 "pages" of colour attributes.

The added benefit of having each LED as its own fixture is that if you did want the whole fixture all the same colour, you select them all and apply your colour, whereas if it was the individual fixture with RGB for each LED, you'd have to manually step through and apply your colour to each LED.

Edward

I don't quite know what you mean. To patch it, ensure the fixture is in 54 channel mode with your desired start address. Then on the Solution, select "Generic RGB 3 Channel Fixture" as we discussed, Select the start address you chose for the fixture, and on the next patch page add the quantity which in this case will be 18. These will then automatically be assigned to each RGB LED of the fixture as will be assigned one after the other. On the console you can then pick a blank MFK fixture page and put them all there. You can then repeat this for your further 3 fixtures.

It would then be worth making 4 quick Groups per batten, each containing all 18 of their respective fixture, so you could then easily use the fixtures as one block colour if you needed to.

Edward

I don't quite know what you mean. To patch it, ensure the fixture is in 54 channel mode with your desired start address. Then on the Solution, select "Generic RGB 3 Channel Fixture" as we discussed, Select the start address you chose for the fixture, and on the next patch page add the quantity which in this case will be 18. These will then automatically be assigned to each RGB LED of the fixture as will be assigned one after the other. On the console you can then pick a blank MFK fixture page and put them all there. You can then repeat this for your further 3 fixtures.

It would then be worth making 4 quick Groups per batten, each containing all 18 of their respective fixture, so you could then easily use the fixtures as one block colour if you needed to.

Edward

Hi Edward,

Just a quick update. I now have both types of fixtures colour now being controlled via the encoder wheels. I have had to use 4 channel generic to be able to dim but all working fine. Thank you so much for your help. Next week I'll try the individual LED install on the Show Bars and let you know but for now I can use all my fixtures. Thank you

Edward

Hi Edward,

I tried the instructions above last night but with no joy. I get as far as "Select the start address you chose for the fixture, and on the next patch page add the quantity which in this case will be 18" but I don't get asked for a quantity. It just assigns it as a 3 channel fixture :( I wonder if it's something to do with my desk configuration?

Ah no sorry forgot you were using a Solution, when you get to the bit where I've said set the quantity, you will actually be asked where you want to put them. This is where you manually tell the console which physical MFKs you want your fixtures on. To do this select a blank MFK fixture page, Press and Hold the first MFK, and then click the 18th MFK. Then release and it will automatically patch these sequentially, then click finish.

Edward

Yes that's correct. I shall try that next time I'm down there.

Thanks once again Edward.

I have noticed though that I need to add the generic RGB+D or I can't dim the fixture unless I mix the colours to to lower levels which is an issue if I want to fade all fixtures at the same time. If I add 18 x RGB+D that makes 72 channels and not 54? Will that cause me an issue?

• 4 weeks later...

Yes it will, what you actually need to add is an RGB fixture with a virtual intensity so the console works it out for you. This fixture is the one called "3ch (RGB) - (3 Chans)"

Edward

Thank you Edward for all your help. All fixtures up and running. The desk upgrade is next this week so you may get pestered again :D

Thanks again

Leighton