Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Cross fade chase

Lufferov

So this seems like a fairly basic question, but I can't figure it out... How do I make a chase that cross fades between colours? I have my generic 5 colour wash in Red, Green, Blue, Amber, Pink using parcans. So the steps I follow are:

Red @@

{RECORD} to playback 1

Red @ {ENTER}

Blue @@

{RECORD} to playback 1

Create a chase

Blue @ {ENTER}

Green @@

{RECORD} to playback 1

Green @ {ENTER}

etc.....

Now I have a basic 5 step chase that snaps from Red to Blue to Green to Amber to Pink and back to Red. I can speed it up and slow it down, but that just leaves the Red on for longer, SNAP Blue............. SNAP Green............ SNAP Amber. If I speed it up I get SNAP Red.. SNAP Blue.. SNAP Green etc...

I can change the attributed of the chase to Ramp Up which fades up Red, SNAP out, fade up Blue SNAP out etc... or I can ramp down which is SNAP Red, fade out, SNAP Blue, fade out.

How can I ramp up AND down?

Is there a way to overlap the cross fade so it fades up red, and then fades up Blue as it fades down Red so I don't have a dip to black between each step?

You need to change the "Attribute fade percentages".

Go into the Playback's Setup. In here you'll see that Intensity is set to 0%. Therefore, there is no fade. If you click "Intensity" and change it to 100% this will then do what you need it to do. (If these were LED Par Cans, you'd change the colour attribute rather than the Intensity one).

Jon Hole
Global Product Manager, Systems and Control

• 8 months later...

I'd just like to add, having had this desk since its launch, this is still the one thing that catches me out and I keep forgetting! It just doesn't seem logical to me, and I'll probably still be coming back to the forum next year to remind myself how I do this! :-)