Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

How to ...

jw-lighting

Hi everyone.

I often struggle on how to perform operations within or with playbacks, most often this is related to the way tracking is working. Not all of the options within the record window are clear to me. Additionally block and unblock are mystery for me.

Maybe I'm not alone with that? Sometimes this causes a lot of trouble because a mistake could not be undone (please add this in the future!!!!! ;))

For that reason I hope do get answers what is the best way to reach one of the defined goals:

Insert a cue: no impact from the cue before the inserted one, no impact on the following cues

Edit a cue and: 1) track edited parameters forward, but not backward 2) track edits for- and backwards 3) do not impact surrounding cues.

Remove accidentally saved parameters that are not intended to be saved from a cue (and remove their "tracking impact" on other cues)

Copy a cue "as is", no tracking from cues preceding the pasted one

Delete a cue without changing following cues. (Transfer tracked changes to the next cue)

I hope, everything is explained understandable.

Regards and thanks in advance :)

Jan

Hi Jan,

Hopefully this will help:

Insert a cue: no impact from the cue before the inserted one, no impact on the following cues

Having either "Smart Tag" or "Snap Shot" enabled will ensure the previous cue doesn't affect the new cue. Having "Cue Only" enabled will ensure the new cue doesn't affect following cues. When people are inserting a cue (say, Cue 28.5), I generally suggest they go into the previous cue first (say, Cue 28), make the changes they want to make, and then record it as the inserted cue. This way, Smart Tag and Snap Shot aren't required.

Edit a cue and: 1) track edited parameters forward, but not backward 2) track edits for- and backwards 3) do not impact surrounding cues.

1) Update the cue, with "Track Forwards" enabled
2) Update the cue, with "Track Both" enabled
3) This is the same as 1

Remove accidentally saved parameters that are not intended to be saved from a cue (and remove their "tracking impact" on other cues)

Ensure the programme is empty, tag the parameters you wish to remove (it doesn't matter what their values are, as long as they are tagged) and then in the Record or Update window choose "Remove". Ensure Smart Tag, Snap Shot and Cue Only are all disabled.

Copy a cue "as is", no tracking from cues preceding the pasted one

This should happen when copying cues anyway

Delete a cue without changing following cues. (Transfer tracked changes to the next cue)

Although "Cue Only" is accessible within the Record and Update windows, they are whole console setting - so the logic still applies when deleting. Therefor, if "Cue Only" is enabled, following cues won't be affected by the deleted cues, whereas if "Cue Only" is disabled, following cues will be affected.

Let me know if there's anything not clear, or if you have any further questions!

Jon Hole
Global Product Manager, Systems and Control