Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

questions about FLX

a_user_JPN

Hi, I recently began to use FLX console, and here are some points I don't quite understand in the user manual. I'd like to know in what kind of situations these functions are used.

1. "Keep Parameters Separate"

I don't see the difference in fixture's behavior between before and after I change the settings either "Yes" or "No".

2. "Wheel Behavior"

The wheels seem equally sensitive when "Colour" attribute is being adjusted no matter which behaviors I choose; Proportional, Course and Fine. On the other hand, the wheel doesn't seem to be reacting when "Position" attribute is adjusted and the behavior is set "Fine". Why?

3. New "Inhibitor" option for Playbacks

The console and fixtures work as the manual explains, but I don't understand what this new option is for. What is "proportional scale"? How is it used?

4. New "LTP Catch" option

It seems to me fixtures are working the same way as when they are set HTP. How can this option be useful?

I'm sorry about my poor English, but I hope you understand the points and will give me good advice.

1. "Keep Parameters Separate"

I don't see the difference in fixture's behavior between before and after I change the settings either "Yes" or "No".

Keep Parameters Separate is related to the way the console tags the parameters changed in the programmer. When you change a parameters value, the parameter is tagged (blue background). Tagged parameters are included in the next record operation you make.

When you change the value for "red" or "pan" it is reasonable to record the other values for color (green and blue) or position (tilt) with them. For that reason normally all related parameters are tagged (red, green, blue for color; pan, tilt for position). To disable this, you can choose "keep parameters separate"

2. "Wheel Behavior"

The wheels seem equally sensitive when "Colour" attribute is being adjusted no matter which behaviors I choose; Proportional, Course and Fine. On the other hand, the wheel doesn't seem to be reacting when "Position" attribute is adjusted and the behavior is set "Fine". Why?

Choosing the "fine" option is to control the exact DMX value with the wheel. Than every "click" of the wheel means one increment or decrement of the DMX value. With a 16-bit (65535 steps) resolution for pan or tilt this seems to be no change. The fine wheel mode is for settings with low resolution or when accuracy is needed, e.g. gobo shake speed is often a small scope for each gobo in the gobo DMX channel - so it's annoying when the wheel is skipping values.

3. New "Inhibitor" option for Playbacks

The console and fixtures work as the manual explains, but I don't understand what this new option is for. What is "proportional scale"? How is it used?

Think of an inhibitive playback as of a grand master for the channels programmed in it. Example: Channel 8 and 10 are at 80%. Playback 10 is inhibitive and has channel 8 programmed at 100%.

When Playback 10 is at 50%, channel 8 will output 40% (50% of 80%) and channel 10 output is 80% (because it is not controlled by Playback 10).

4. New "LTP Catch" option

It seems to me fixtures are working the same way as when they are set HTP. How can this option be useful?

LTP catch means that you have to reach the current level with the fader before you get control with that fader.

I'm not sure about the actual implementation. Maybe someone else could explain it in more detail.

Regards

Jan

Thanks for that detailed explanation - great stuff!

Just expanding on two areas:

Inhibitors

Inhibitor faders can come in two flavours - one that just sets a topset, and one that proportionally scales (as Jan described above). If a fixture was at 50%, and then the Inhibitor was taken to 50%, a Topset Inhibitor would keep the fixture at 50%, whereas a Proportional Inhibitor would take the fixture to 25%.

LTP

Normally for Intensity we use "Highest Takes Precedence" rules - so it doesn't matter what order you do things in, if a fixture is at 50% on one fader, 75% on another, and 25% on another, the fixture will be at 75% - as this is "highest". However, LTP stands for "Latest Takes Precedence" - it means the latest thing you do is what "takes precedence".

However, LTP gets a lot more messy thank HTP. Imagine you have a fader with a fixture at 100%, and you put it to full. And then you have another fader with the fixture at 50%. As soon as you start pushing that up, technically the "latest" command is to go to 1%, then 2%, then 3% etc. However, it's very unlikely that that's actually what you want to happen. So we are developing two different options - Soft LTP and LTP Catch. Soft LTP will fade the intensity from it's current level (whatever that might be) to its new one, even if that's in the "opposite" direction. LTP Catch works slightly differently. It says that nothing happens until you match (or "catch") the level - so if you have a fader up with a fixture at 50%, and then another fader with the same fixture at 100%, as you fade this second fader up, nothing will happen until you match the 50% level, and then the second fader will take over. Up to that point, it's not much different to HTP, however the difference is when you pull that fader back down, it will go all the way to 0%, not stop at 50%.

We're still working on Soft LTP and LTP Catch - think of them in "beta" still!

Jon Hole
Global Product Manager, Systems and Control

Inhibitors

Inhibitor faders can come in two flavours - one that just sets a topset, and one that proportionally scales.

That's more than i know about :) How can i configure the inhibitor as "topset" or "proportional"?

LTP

However, it's very unlikely that that's actually what you want to happen. So we are developing two different options - Soft LTP and LTP Catch. Soft LTP will fade the intensity from it's current level (whatever that might be) to its new one, even if that's in the "opposite" direction.

I discovered this feature last weekend and used it for a concert where gently changes of lighting where appropriate. With this option selected I was able to "fade in" a chase as much as i needed, sometimes the audience didn't noticed whats going on there but a little "movement" was good for loosening it up. Just to mention, even if it's off-topic: This feature is really, really cool stuff! Keep focused on those "designer-friendly" implementations :)

How can i configure the inhibitor as "topset" or "proportional"?

When I said "they can come in two flavors", I was talking more generally rather than specifically on our consoles. We've moved from topset over to proportional on our Inhibitors currently, as that's usually the more popular option.

Jon Hole
Global Product Manager, Systems and Control

Hi, I would like to ask another question.

When I record a Cue, the console allows me to choose whether I record the Cue with "smart tag" on.

Please tell me what Smart tag rule is.

On top of that, I would like to know how to use Basic option and Advanced option of Tracking Options effectively.

On what point are they different?

A quick answer before Jon gives us a better more complete explanation (which will certainly be useful for me too):

Smart Tag is the desk working out what fixture parameters have changed since the last cue/current state in order to only record the changes.

Advanced Tracking requires the user to control the fixture parameter "tag state" manually thus having total control over what is and what is not recorded in the cue.

...that's how I understand it anyway!

Kevin

The point I still want to know is why we need to control parameter tag state manually even though the FLX console selects and records the appropriate parameters automatically (same as in "keep parameter sparate").

Would you give me some examples where you think the tag states should be controlled?

In my experience one example of manually tagging parameters is for using subs to control colour of RGB fixtures. automatic tagging requires the fixture to first of all have an intensity of more than 0 in order to record the colour parameters (or any other parameter for that mater). All i want it to record is the colour, the intensity will be recorded else where on another playback.

With keeping parameters separate, say you have an RGB fixture, you select red, if the parameters are kept together then the green and blue will also get tagged and recorded automatically, however i want one sub for Red, one for blue, and one for green. (separate parameters) so in this case it would be quicker to set the colour parameters to keep separate. if you dont record them separate then the red sub will play back red at 100%, green at 0% and blue at 0%.

so now lets say your fixture was showing blue using the blue sub we just recorded, when you activate the red sub the fixture would go to red not purple/pink as you would expect. (blue plus red) this is due to parameter playback working on a LTP basis.

I hope i have helped explain a little and not confuse you even more.

Hello keredyelesob,

Thanks for giving me a very useful example!

I hadn't thought of such a usage of playback faders, so it has changed how I use playbacks.

Now I've found I can do a lot of things on FLX by applying a variety of options.

Can anyone give me other examples of programming playbacks by making parameters separated, if you don't mind?

Or, can I ask anyone to tell me about your own unique usage?

I would like to learn about FLX more and make the most of it.

Hello Jan,

Actually, I'd love to, but I'm from Tokyo, Japan. I cannot afford a trip abroad, unfortunately.

It is ideal that Zero88 will hold workshops in Japan but I bet there will be few chances.

So I really need a help from all of you as there is no one who I can rely on!

Hi,

Tyler here - I look after the Asian countries for Zero88.

If you can email me direct on tylerholpin@eaton.com we will see what we can do.

I have a very strong distributor in Japan that I can introduce you too.

Thanks

Tyler