Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

theater and concert shows

minimac

Hi there,

i keep hearing everyone talking about using the submasters to do say, rock concert or a music show. but how does everyone acctually do this. is there a certain system that you use for remebering whats on each sub? (apart from masking tape) and how do you program it? do you have a certain "show" for certain genres?

Cheers

A good idea is to use each sub for the same type of thing on every page - for example, you use sub 1 on every page to do movement looks, sub 2 to do colours, sub 3 to do gobo, then subs 5 and 6 to do various par can stuff (allowing you do cross fade these) then maybe sub 7 to do the intensities for your scans, you could then put a couple of overall 'looks' using everything on Sub 12, (things like a preset state or something)

You can then make Page 1 maybe Fast stuff, Page 2 slow, Page 3 Medium etc etc etc. You then don't need to note everything down

Richard idea works quite nice; you could also group your subs like this:

1-4 : MAC250: dimmer - colour - beamshape - position

5-8 : MAC300: dimmer - colour - beamshape - position

9-12 : PRO518: dimmer - colour - beamshape - position

that's the way I program my shows; and each page contains a different program; named on the submasters screen. A rather efficient way!

Sometimes I use page 20 for groups of conventionals (like PARs with the same filters, or effects) and stuff like that; but of course you're free to develop another excellent way of programming; just let us know! :)

> 500 posts, time for a new T-shirt? ;)

I usually program each par channal on subs 1->12 and the chases on channel 13->18.

moving lights on SX

01->12 color

13->24 beamshape

25->36 position

and on subs 19->24 the chases so you can change color, beamshape and position just by pressing the SX buttons.

this way you can rapidly control a show live.

It's onely 20 minits work so thats also a positive thing :lol:

20 minutes? whoah show me!!! are those SX buttons that cool? I usually program for about an hour on moves / chases / pallets... Too bad, but I haven't found a quick way of recycling my old shows, since the setup changes everytime, and copying standard pallets is not done :(

> 500 posts, time for a new T-shirt? ;)

I just program each colour,beamshape and position on a SX so I can switch rapid. and for the movements I mostly use the ones that are already in the mambo. just change the max tilt level so they don't come on the roof and some static ones for mirrorballs, dancers, effects or group members if it's a band. We previously did it with a SGM Pilot but a mambo is much faster. I'm glad we bought one. 8)

• 2 weeks later...

I use the frog alot for live concerts and events ETC. Usually use a page of subs per song or artist. (version 9 now with 20 pages will be great) Program your looks and movments onto each sub labeling with the keyboard. Only problem I have found is adding times to each submaster (have to record as a Mem then transfer REAL PAIN!!!!!!) this allows the subs to be used as an Avolites style playback.

Once programmed and operational very handy. Can always used the pallets to overlay extra looks on top of shapes and chases etc. Hope helps! :roll: