Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Gobo Pictures on Palettes

OllieNom

Hi,

I've noticed that the FLX can display small pictures on various palettes, such as the colour that the palette represents in Colour or a picture of the Gobo represented in Beamshape. The profile for the Martin MH1 Profile Plus doesn't have any pictures of the gobos, but I have the pictures and have been trying to add them to a new profile using the fixture editor for Windows. Does anyone know how you do this or has anyone done it themselves?

Thanks,

Ollie

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for your reply. I've tried this a couple of times, but the images never save. I also tried loading all the images into the Manager part of the Details tab, and they're all there, but I can't assign an image to a DMX range. I'm not sure which button I should be pressing - I've tried Load, paste and select but no joy with any of them.

Thanks,

Ollie

So I haven't tried this through to loading the fixture into the FLX, but I can certainly attach an image to a DMX range.

So - you have a beamshape attribute for say gobo.

Details tab.

Name=gobo1, End Value=23, Mid=15

Load - pick an image for the gobo

Insert

Name=gobo2, End Value=50, Mid=40

Load - gobo2 image

Insert

etc until you've gone all the way to End Value=255

Load/Insert

OK

This saves OK for me and attaches the gobo images to the ranges as above.

Does this not work for you?

Hi

I may be mis-reading the thread but it sounds like you have already defined Gobo 1, Gobo 2, etc so therefore each one already exists when you select "Insert". Try selecting each gobo from the table itself, change the image then select "Replace". When finished, save the file and import as normal.

Hope that helps

Mike

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your replies. As it turned out, mikeb and James were both correct about using 'replace', so thank you both. It appears that the profile already had blank images stored for each DMX range, which is why 'insert' would throw an error.

Thank you all for your help,

Ollie

Not sure if this will help but i asume you have tried updating a standard fixture did you change the name slightly. It is just a thought but the desk may still be picking up the standard fixture over your new custome one.if you change the name you can be sure you are using your new fixture. When i have made fixture profiles with gobo images they have worked but i always rename them if modifying a profile. I cant remember if the images only show in the pallets when the fixture is selected but i assume you have already done this 😊

I cant remember if the images only show in the pallets when the fixture is selected but i assume you have already done this

Yes, images are only shown when the fixtures are selected. Also, you'll need to choose "Automatically create palettes" again after patching the new profile

Jon Hole
Global Product Manager, Systems and Control

Hi Again,

It works! Thank you both for your suggestions. Jon - I see what you mean about automatically creating new palettes again, that works too. The pictures showed up straight away on the view you get when you press the button in the middle of the scroll wheel that currently has control of that gobo wheel.

Thanks again,

Ollie