Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Move in Dark problems when jumping cues

robhurt

Hello!

I'm currently working on a show and have the basics with ease. Due to time commitments and the rehearsal schedule, it's easier for me to leave the songs that require a bit more work until last, so I usually programme e show in chronilogical order and the have some songs towards the end of my cue list. Normally I tell my cues to jump to the songs later in the list, and then back again to continue the script.

I'm finding that move on dark doesn't seem to be working when jumping cues. For example the script in cue 9 then jumps to a song that starts on cue 200 and finishes on cue 217 then jumps back to 10 to continue the scene. The move in dark does recognise the required position in cue 200 so when I press "GO" lots of movement and colour changing occurs which is not desired.

It sounds an odd way of working, but I find it easier than leaving a few cues blank In case I don't leave enough for example.

Any help appreciated.

Hi Rob,

Just a thought as you're online now... Is cue 9 configured to jump to cue 200 next or are you at cue 9 and then go-load 200 (as in hold go and type 200)? Not saying there should be a difference, but since the desk 'looks ahead' for MOD maybe the issue?

Kevin

Just looked in the manual:

In cue 9 go to the right column Cue Setup and set Next to 200, then see if you still have the problem. I'd interpret that as a bug if you do as the desk now has the information to look ahead to cue 200 for MOD.

Hi Rob,

Sounds good. Think you've done what you can. Looks like a new 'use case' for the software to consider.

You're too good at this - you should be answering Forum posts now!

Sorry, over to Jon!

Regards,

Kevin

I find it easier than leaving a few cues blank In case I don't leave enough for example.

Sure you know, but you can have 99 'point' cues, i.e. 9.01 to 9.99 between cue 9 and 10.

Hi Rob,

Sounds good. Think you've done what you can. Looks like a new 'use case' for the software to consider.

You're too good at this - you should be answering Forum posts now!

Sorry, over to Jon!

Regards,

Kevin

Sure you know, but you can have 99 'point' cues, i.e. 9.01 to 9.99 between cue 9 and 10.

Really! That's excellent! I've only done 1 song so far so I'll copy that into "point" cues and carry on from there.

Thanks - you're a star!

Hello again!

Final question on Move on Dark (I hope!),

I have set the move on dark delay time to 1 second and the fade time to 5 seconds as I don't want any loud movement over quiet dialogue scenes. Occasionally, however, I need the delay time and fade time to be almost 0. Is it possible to edit the delay and fade times for individual cues rather than the entire stack?

I've looked in the cue settings and can see options for "don't move effect, position etc" but can't see anything for the move on dark delay or fade times.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Rob

Hi Rob,

Thanks for taking the time to post here, glad you're getting on with the basics "with ease"!

I've added these two requests as new software issues and below I've included our reference for each of these:

I've programmed the desk to jump to the cues rather than manually holding down "GO" and typing the cue number.

I though that it 'looked ahead' so should see that the fixtures are needed at X location in cue 200.

ZOS-6982

I have set the move on dark delay time to 1 second and the fade time to 5 seconds as I don't want any loud movement over quiet dialogue scenes. Occasionally, however, I need the delay time and fade time to be almost 0. Is it possible to edit the delay and fade times for individual cues rather than the entire stack?

ZOS-6983

All the best,

Jon

Jon Hole
Global Product Manager, Systems and Control

Hi Rob,

Thanks for taking the time to post here, glad you're getting on with the basics "with ease"!

I've added these two requests as new software issues and below I've included our reference for each of these:

ZOS-6982

ZOS-6983

All the best,

Jon

Thanks Jon! I'm loving the desk - it's fantastic.

Don't suppose there is a rough timescale for these additions to the OS? Is it months or years?

Rob

It depends on two things really - how many requests we get and/or if we're already working on Move on Dark, in which case this can get added in. I think they both make perfect sense, so I'd like to try and push them through. However, I don't think it's going to be in the next two software updates, as they are both pretty well defined already I'm afraid.

Jon Hole

ZOS-6982 - tick

ZOS-6983 - tick[

Add my vote to these - anything to keep Rob happy.

(Rob, if you don't tell them we're working on the same show, they'll never know...)

Timeframe wise, our show is annual so it would be nice to have these updates out by then

You should have seen Rob when the FLX arrived - talk about a kid in a toy shop!

Cheers

Peter

Add my vote to these - anything to keep Rob happy.

Can you buy me an FLX then :P

It depends on two things really - how many requests we get and/or if we're already working on Move on Dark, in which case this can get added in. I think they both make perfect sense, so I'd like to try and push them through. However, I don't think it's going to be in the next two software updates, as they are both pretty well defined already I'm afraid.

Thanks Jon - much appreciated.

Rob - looks like 3 releases away earliest, so could be around a year?

:( thanks for the info though.

• 10 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Jon

I don't suppose you know if these have been implemented yet do you?

Thanks

Rob

As I said before:

I don't think it's going to be in the next two software updates, as they are both pretty well defined already I'm afraid.

Last week we released ZerOS 7.9.2 which was the second of these two updates, so no - these two haven't been implemented yet.

Jon Hole

As I said before:

Last week we released ZerOS 7.9.2 which was the second of these two updates, so no - these two haven't been implemented yet.

Thank you.

We've only just bought our FLX (previously hired) so haven't been keeping any track on what release numbers have/haven't come out in the last 12 months.

Peter

• 9 months later...