Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Problems using a monitor and keyboard together

robhurt

Hello All

I've just hired an FLX and am loving it however when I plug a keyboard in the touch screen stops working? I've tried resetting the console etc but they simply won't both work. Any ideas?

Also, I find it odd that to lock the console the code is required? Surely I should be able to lock the console simply by pressing "lock" and only need the code to unlock?

Cheers

Rob

Also, I find it odd that to lock the console the code is required? Surely I should be able to lock the console simply by pressing "lock" and only need the code to unlock?

Proves you have the code to unlock it! It's a bit like the Yale/mortice door lock situation - whoops I've left my keys in the house and just shut the (Yale) front door!

I think on balance, personally I'd keep the code-to-lock situation, particularly if I was hiring the desk.

Personally (and if you listen carefully - you'll hear Jon grinding his teeth quietly) - I never lock a console and I recommend that to my customers that they don't lock either.

We all have a 'favourite' PIN that we wont use on consoles or phones and are loathe to write down the memorable code we chose to lock the desk. When we forget the code, can't find the piece of paper or someone thinks it's a laugh to lock the console - you invariably discover the fact as your show is about to begin and the Zero88 offices (who can unlock the desk) are closed.

If you're really paranoid about folk making changes to your show file then do as I do, carry a USB stick round on your Car key ring and save a copy of the show on to that. Of course... this does assume that you remember where you put your car keys down :unsure:

Ian Knight aka The Service Guy - www.serviceguy.co.uk

Yes, sorry Rob that was a bit of a distraction.

Can only suggest the obvious for the monitor problem: to try different USB ports for both keyboard and monitor USB, keyboard brands and to recalibrate the monitor touch via Setup on the desk.

Also to check for software 7.8.5.

I have my monitor USB in a rear socket next to the DVI port. It's a Logitech keyboard and the recommended touchscreen (ProLight T1731). The keyboard is via a 4-port Belkin hub with the mouse into the second rear socket.

After that, I'm as stuck as you....

Kevin

A few duplicated ideas here:

- Try trying different USB ports. If a USB device tries pulling too much power, FLX cuts off that USB port for protection. However, it does this in pairs. So it might be that the keyboard is causing FLX to cut off a pair of USB ports, which is why the monitor stops working.

- Your post doesn't specifically say you've had the keyboard working on it's own without the touch screen... does it?

- What USB Keyboard are you using? Is it super basic and simple, or does it have things like lots of extra Media Keys, a built in trackpad, backlit keys, extra USB ports on the back/side to plug other devices in etc etc?

Jon Hole
Global Product Manager, Systems and Control

I can't see any obvious branding on the touch screen monitor. Both are plugged in at different sides of the desk and the keyboard (Genius) works fine when plugged in either alone or with the monitor.

I've tried recalibrating the touch screen monitor but it is completely unresponsive.

The keyboard is just a basic keyboard. No additional buttons, ports or backlighting.

Both are plugged in at different sides of the desk

Have you tried different USB sockets? Try the two on the back of the console for example.

Also, do you have a powered USB hub? If you do, please could you try plugging that into the console, and the two devices into the hub, and see if that works?

Thanks

Jon Hole
Global Product Manager, Systems and Control

Have you tried different USB sockets? Try the two on the back of the console for example.

Also, do you have a powered USB hub? If you do, please could you try plugging that into the console, and the two devices into the hub, and see if that works?

Thanks

Tried multiple USB sockets but no joy. I don't have a separate USB hub :(