Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Can I "grab" a channel (intensity) during a stack playback

kgallen

(Sorry for the dumb question - missed it in the manual maybe, and thought it was asked in another forum issue but cant find it! ..and also prepared to be told I've misunderstood FLX channel release philosophy even now!)

I'm looking for a function a bit like the channel grab on Fat Frog (http://zero88.com/support/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/GetAttachment/56/554 Section 9. Grab Mode for Brightness Channels (Frog Ref No 5574) )

If I'm playing back a stack and want to get hold of the intensity of a fixture (say it got knocked), how would I do this on FLX 7.8.5?

Thanks,

Kevin

(Yes, pre-show panicking!)

Hi Kevin,

This would work naturally. You just go into channels, "catch" the channel (take the fader to the current intensity of that channel) and you now have control of it on the fader.

To release this, you can either use the "clear" button (but that will clear EVERYTHING within the programmer), or alternatively one of the options on the UDKs (hold SETUP and press an empty UDK) is "Clear Fixture", which will just clear the currently selected fixtures.

Another option on the UDKs is "park", which is useful in the situation of a lantern getting knocked (as per your example). When you press "Park", the selected fixtures will get locked onto that value. Even the grandmaster / blackout won't affect those channels. So you can merge these two features, to catch the intensity, bring it to 0%, and then "Park" it at that value.

Jon Hole
Global Product Manager, Systems and Control

Hi Jon,

Excellent thanks for the detail and quick reply (and the function!)!

To release this, you can either use the "clear" button (but that will clear EVERYTHING within the programmer), or alternatively one of the options on the UDKs (hold SETUP and press an empty UDK) is "Clear Fixture", which will just clear the currently selected fixtures.

Slightly confused (yes it's a common state!), if the programmer is non-empty then wouldn't it be selecting fixtures, so "Clear Fixture" would "clear everything within the programmer" too?

ETA:

Just tried this on PhantomOS 7.8.5; "Clear Fixture" on a UDK just clears fixtures selected in the programmer (I had "2 AND 9" in the programmer). It didn't affect the channel I'd grabbed with a channel fader.

SHIFT+Clear on the other hand does release the grab and leaves the programmer selection alone :-)