Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Overwrite kills name in palettes

StefanB

Hi Zero-Team,

1, Keep names when overwriting palettes

Is there any reason, why overwriting submasters keeps the name and overwriting palettes resets the name?

My favourite is to keep the name in both modules.

I often change the fixtures in groups, when I use a showfile in different theaters and it´s quite annoying to name 10 to 15 groups again and again and again ...

2, Desk speed

Is there any solution for the speed problem of the solution desk? I got the newest software and the speed of switching displays is not acceptable. Especially fast editing during shows is not possible.

My showfiles are not complex, so it should be no "space"-problem.

3, Effects

Will there be in the near future any change in the effects-section?

Could you please separate the parameters so speed- and size-parameters can be stored on single faders.

Thank you

:-) Stefan

Leap Frog 48, LG L1730SF

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Stefan,

1, Keep names when overwriting palettes

Is there any reason, why overwriting submasters keeps the name and overwriting palettes resets the name?

My favourite is to keep the name in both modules.

I often change the fixtures in groups, when I use a showfile in different theaters and it´s quite annoying to name 10 to 15 groups again and again and again ...

We're solving this in a different way... allowing you to update groups (which would be the "correct" way to do this)

2, Desk speed

Is there any solution for the speed problem of the solution desk? I got the newest software and the speed of switching displays is not acceptable. Especially fast editing during shows is not possible.

My showfiles are not complex, so it should be no "space"-problem.

Each software update we release we're trying to improving upon this. When you next see it's slow, please could you save the show and drop it to me in an email please? (email address in signature below)

3, Effects

Will there be in the near future any change in the effects-section?

Could you please separate the parameters so speed- and size-parameters can be stored on single faders.

We're working on a few various things for the effects engine :-)

Jon Hole
Global Product Manager, Systems and Control

...2, Desk speed

Each software update we release we're trying to improving upon this. When you next see it's slow, please could you save the show and drop it to me in an email please? (email address in signature below)

my personal experience :

sometimes the refreshing speed is okey but mostly it is just a disaster and after lots of testing I think that I found the main reason:

which must be the FX engine (and probably DSP charging for that)

I had shows with normal behaviour (concerning LCD refreshing)

but my last show just rendered impossible to work in live with the LCDs and their buttons

when I program my chases in a traditional way (step by step -> most of my shows, last year) all seems to be fine but :

in this case (preparing my season 2016), I used the FX engine to get various chases on the Sunstrips; plus some chases on the Led-Pars; plus chases on my RGB COB-Bars (*->*); plus moving and color effects on the wash-Led M-Hs plus moving-effects on the beam M-Hs

all this things are recorded separately (in Subs and/or memories - and no problem when trying them one by one !) but when I try to let them play all (or some of them) together the LCDs just "strike"... takes 3 ,4, 6 seconds to change from one state to another...

when working with an external Touchscreen plus an I-Pad, we don't really need these LCDs and buttons (at least don't need instant reactivity in changing) - but what about the console in Stand-Alone-Mode ?? => its just impossible to work correctly with it in a normal live work-flow... (and when using the FX engine...)

I personnaly never had problems with shows with "traditional step chases" (->without FX-chases)

and also : the "slowin effetct" seems to be a cumulating one : you start a show and all seems fine but just a few minutes later "when doing thing in live-mode" (editing a.s.o.) the LCDs just get stuck.....

a friend of mine (Solution Desk) told me about 5 to 6 seconds waiting for refresh on his show ! I tried his show on my desk and had nearly no worries; but we did a show together and I really saw the issue, not present in the beginning but getting worse and worse and worse when editing and/or cumulating Subs in live and using FXs

(*) each Led is seen and programmed separately; so 6 bars with 8x Leds each, makes for me 48 fixtures... and applying then the FX on various groups

==> just to give a try : running ZerOS 7 and there is NO slowing-issue...

since ZerOS 8 first version, things are really better now, but the issue is always present ! (especially when using FX-engines)