Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

USB port count/location [future]

kgallen

I realise this is fixed for FLX, but I thought I should note it for future consideration...

I'm finding the location/number of USB ports tricky...

1 port on the top for the USB desk light - means the USB memory stick needs to go in one of the rear ports (fiddly to access with rear overhang) or pull the desk light to save/load (fortunately no desk crash risk like FatFrog ;) ). -> 2nd port on the front face would solve this (1 could be power-only :ph34r: ).

1 port on the rear near DVI-D needed for touch screen USB.

1 port on the rear for the mouse, and/or the external keyboard (less need once all naming functions can use on-screen keyboard, not there yet with 7.8.4), or the USB memory stick? -> 3 or 4 USB ports needed on the rear?

2 ports on either side of the FLX, either used for Wings or... in my (Swan) flight case I can't get at them (foam stops access). OK, you might say I should have bought a Z88 case, but not sure if these USB ports are accessible even in a Z88 case?

Not ideal, but can I use an external USB expander/hub for mouse/keyboard/USB stick access?

Thanks,

Kevin

The answer probably is to use an external HUB Kevin and to take care that it's compliant in terms of USB current draw - so a brand name you recognise (e.g. Fat Harry's Hyper Hub might be slightly non-standard) or from a supplier you trust i.e. CPC, eBuyer and so on.

It goes without saying (I hope) - don't charge your iPhone off the desk whilst you run your USB Coffee warmer and no firing rockets at the director with that cute USB launcher you bought last Xmas - try and keep your current draws to a minimum on those ports for reliable working :P

Ian Knight aka The Service Guy - www.serviceguy.co.uk

2 ports on either side of the FLX, either used for Wings or... in my (Swan) flight case I can't get at them (foam stops access). OK, you might say I should have bought a Z88 case, but not sure if these USB ports are accessible even in a Z88 case?

Hi I also have a swan flight case for my FLX desk and I also had this same problem, I took a sharp stanley knife blade to the foam on my case and cut a USB shaped whole in the foam, works a treat. to make it even more accessible I used an L shaped USB adaptor similar to the one here

I do think this problem is maybe something that we should feedback to swan flight though, although I am not to bothered now I have found a work around.

The answer probably is to use an external HUB Kevin and to take care that it's compliant in terms of USB current draw - so a brand name you recognise (e.g. Fat Harry's Hyper Hub might be slightly non-standard) or from a supplier you trust i.e. CPC, eBuyer and so on.

It goes without saying (I hope) - don't charge your iPhone off the desk whilst you run your USB Coffee warmer and no firing rockets at the director with that cute USB launcher you bought last Xmas - try and keep your current draws to a minimum on those ports for reliable working :P

In addition if you are concerned about drawing to much current from your FLX I would get a powered USB hub, I have successfully used a powered hub that is built into one of my monitors and had no issues, this ran a keyboard and pen drive.

Also on my solution desk I use this keyboard and mouse from Maplin as it only uses one USB port, not tried on my FLX but can test it on that and let you know if a get any problems.

Hi guys,

Thanks for the comments and ideas. I've ordered a small Belkin 4-port hub to ease congestion on the ports. It's an unpowered one, but keyboard/mouse/USB stick shouldn't present too much of a current load (and Jon assures us the FLX USB ports are man-enough for anything!).

Derek - thanks for the Maplin link, that small keyboard/wireless mouse is a good idea.

Ironically I also got one of those right-angle USB adaptors in an attempt to plug the desk light in one of the back ports (leaving the front one free for a memory stick)... but I was scuppered by the rear overhang. Looks like I might have a new application for it!

Cheers,

Kevin

... and no firing rockets at the director with that cute USB launcher you bought last Xmas ...

Oh I see Ian, this is what you use your FLX for is it?

LX Cue 13 - Go... ouch!

http://www.instructables.com/id/Hack-your-usb-missile-launcher-into-an-quotAuto-/

Ironically I also got one of those right-angle USB adaptors in an attempt to plug the desk light in one of the back ports (leaving the front one free for a memory stick)... but I was scuppered by the rear overhang. Looks like I might have a new application for it!

Great minds, Thats why I originally got them to use on my solution desk and thought I could do the same with the FLX, but like you also found out the over hang stops that idea dead :( but they work reasonably well on the side ports once you mod your flight case of course

I don't have an FLX - I find the Illusion 500 is much heavier and therefore has more inherent accuracy when thrown at stage managers - it's impact is sufficient that it makes my point before the director cottons on to there being a problem :P

Yes, but the Illusion doesn't have a patented non-scratch surface like the FLX, so I think you'll find the ongoing repaint costs for the Illusion will make it's continued use as a stage manager communication tool no longer financially viable. What I mean is, an upgrade to FLX is inevitable. I can put you in touch with a good supplier if you like. :D

I love this thread :-)

not sure if these USB ports are accessible even in a Z88 case?

They are :-)

can I use an external USB expander/hub for mouse/keyboard/USB stick access?

This has already been answered - but yes, they are fine to use

(and Jon assures us the FLX USB ports are man-enough for anything!)

As long as you keep within the USB standards, you'll be fine. If you try pulling to much current, FLX will just cut off that USB port until you unplug the device.

I don't have an FLX - I find the Illusion 500 is much heavier and therefore has more inherent accuracy when thrown at stage managers - it's impact is sufficient that it makes my point before the director cottons on to there being a problem :P

It's worth noting that this goes against the Manufacturer's recommended guidelines :P

Jon Hole
Global Product Manager, Systems and Control