Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

What desk? ML24

stowedout

Hi guys,

I have just joined the forum today. I volunteer with a small festival who also run other small events. I have no professional background but can carry out basic DMX programing. I have been using a cheap 48 channel Chinese made desk with the ability to record and run chases but little else. To date we use 8 traditional Par cans with dmx controlled dimmers, 14 fixed led par cans , 1 dmx controlled follow spot and a few pin spots. This year we bought our first moving heads and the limitations of our desk became clear.

we are looking to purchase a new desk which should have the following attributes

1. ability to add up more moving heads maybe 8-10 more

2. We train up local youngsters in the use of the desk so it must be (relatively) simple to operate

I think the Jester ML24 might be a good option. What do you guys think? I have read the tech spec but what are the real world pros and cons of the ML range? what is Zero 88's support like?

Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks

Chris

I personally dont like the jester range of desks as i dont like the software they run they also dont have the ability to do 'move on dark' when using moving lights and colour changers this is a must in my opinion. I would rather spend the extra and get a solution or flx. Given experience and the fact you want beginers to use it i would go for the solution as this gives real hands on faders for your dimmers that are separate to your cue stacks and subs.

As for zero88 support i have never had issues. for urgent queries they are on the end of a phone otherwise this forum is a good place where people are always happy to help. They also run regular training days on their desks.

What is the issue with Move in dark?

The last time i used a Jester ML it did not support Move on Dark (this may have changed since in the newer version of the OS) although i see no mention of it in the manual or in the release notes. As far as i am aware it is only Zeros desks that support move on dark (although i may be wrong, check with Zero88 on this one as it may have recently been added)

One thig i didn't mention above is that Zero88 only appear to be error fixing the Jester OS and not actively developing it (this may be because the desk is fine as it is) but Zeros desks like the FLX and solution are receiving enhancements on every OS release, this for me is good as it keeps the desk up to date and inline with the way users like myself work.

again this is only my opinion, If you are unsure of what desk to get i would see if you can get a demo from Zero88 or from one of their distributors.

I'll re-phrase my question... What is move on dark?

For someone who has never really used intelligent fixtures it seems an odd concept, whenever I have used them I've always put a move/colour wheel change/prism change/gobo change in the stack before I need the light to turn on.. But that could be me making the job hard for myself

I'll re-phrase my question... What is move on dark?

For someone who has never really used intelligent fixtures it seems an odd concept, whenever I have used them I've always put a move/colour wheel change/prism change/gobo change in the stack before I need the light to turn on.. But that could be me making the job hard for myself

Hi. on a desk that does not support move on dark this is exactly how I would control my inelegant fixtures. However, on a desk that supports move on dark the desk works this bit out for you.

With lighting desks move on dark basically looks ahead through your cue list and works out when the lamp is off what the next position, colour, gobo etc is needed and moves to the required settings (when the lamp is at 0 intensity) the desk does this without you needing to think what your fixture is going to do before you need it. basically the desk pre-sets your intelligent fixtures when they have 0 intensity ready for when they are next used. This is really helpful when recording your show as you only need to concentrate on what the stage looks like at the time you are recording and the desk will do the rest for you.

I hope i have explained enough for you to understand, if not let me know and i will try again :P

• 2 years later...