Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Frogs and the Future ?

ice

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As in this plasa comming??? OMG

Thats quick!!! Can I ask were you investigating the possiblity of Frog II before it was brought up on here???

Also I think it needs a better name than Frog II, its going to be new so give it a fresh new name??

Maybe a competition is in order??

SAM

Maybe you can also add an integrated UPS which ensures approximately 30 minutes operation when you have a power failure like the SGM regia2048. (if you have the space for it)

Just a thought ... if the power to the desk has gone down there must also be a good chance that the power to the dimmers, lights and sound system in the same building has gone down as well - so the fact that the desk is still up and running would not be a great deal of use.

K-Nine : Technically Advanced Roving Dog In Space

Bran Media | Myspace

Just a thought ... if the power to the desk has gone down there must also be a good chance that the power to the dimmers, lights and sound system in the same building has gone down as well - so the fact that the desk is still up and running would not be a great deal of use

We always try to keep the sound/light/ controls on sepperate powerlines, and it is always possible that some fool (there is always one) pulls out the wrong plug to charge his mobile,...

Den Pipo

Pro Light Design

Just buy a UPS if you really need such a feature; problem solved...

About the pic; nice idea of somekind of design-Photoshop-contest on how the desk would look like :P Just to keep u guys busy in the time before F2 launches :D

Moderation: Appropriate posts moved to the new "Frog 2" Competition topic: CLICK HERE

> 500 posts, time for a new T-shirt? ;)

The only thing i'd say about a new frog 2 is to not make it to reliant on having to programme macros. I have used a strand desk and, believe me, to get intelligents moving how you want them takes 50 times longer on a strand desk that hasn't been macroed up to its eyeballs than on a frog.

The best feature of the frog is that you can get great lighting results quickly, without having to spend hours programming duck macros.

When I use the frog desks, time is always against us and I have found this product to be the easiest way to design a show in the and get the desired effects in the timescales provided.

Looking at all these suggestions that have been made here, it seems to me that the desk really could do with designated "run" and "program" modes. In "program" mode for example, you could get the desk to ignore fade times. Someone had a problem on here once relating to overriding fades during rehearsals, and a mode system such as this could combat that.

sp

ahh yes- like the sirius 24/48- that a key switch to change from PRESETS ONLY to PROGRAM to RUN. I dont like the idea- having to hop back and forth! Intigrate it into one system (not seperate). Moving back to seperatr ones would be taking a step back in technology.

Sam

Another idea i just thought of :idea: .

To get more flexibility and ease of use from this new desk, how about...

There seems to be a slight problem currently with the fact that the F1-4 buttons are now all in use (and things seem to be doubling up here and there), and I personally can never remember which does what, so if you were to have some buttons in a row, with an LCD above, you could do the following:

If you had the labels for the buttons on the LCD, then each button could be labelled and used differently in different situations, thus getting more out of them.

A system just like that on mobile phones.

sp

I'd encourage you not to go for a split mode desk. Adding a seperate programming interface is fine, but please always give us replay (go-button style). Definatly expand on the current blind-edit mode - a way to switch from cue to cue would be good (without having to do the button presses again).

As for ignoring fade times - it should be an option, using a 'cut' button, rather than a discreet all or none. Some lamps (5kW fresnels anyone?) don't take kindly to being snapped on and off. Same with scrollers.

Peter Kirkup

I agree with the program mode, that would be nice... Also an easy way of using the interface for edititing stuff you'd normally wouldn't do while running the show. It's a nice and clean way of using the LCD / buttons / faders for different purposes while the desk stays 100% understandable.

I'd like the idea of faderbanks with LCD's for viewing what you're doing intantly, although I can understand that that would increase costs a lot. Maybe just on the important things; or move some aspects around the LCD and use some buttons to switch LCD modes.

Oh and that's another good point; the current usage of memory - submaster - output screens etc. is okay, but with the new desk I hope you can split that up. How many external monitors can be plugged in? One on the console itself and 2 externals would be sweet; 3 views at the same time, one with pallets; one with submasters etc...

Another one; use some more buttons...! I think it would be a great idea to use 2 buttons per fader in some occasions. A flash and a select button or something... it's now impossible to use the buttons for anything else than pallets when u lock the pallet screen... that's understandable; but very annoying when you want to flash in time on a break or effect or something like that.

Maybe a whole different section like the SX buttons would do nice in such a case.

Spilling money then... or does the internal harddrive doens't like it when the plug gets pulled out? :lol:

Not running on WinXP are you? :P

The wheels could be replaced by those rubber tracks, those work fine and seem to be of a bit better quality then the current wheels (I find them the weak spot of the hardware). The flash buttons could be altered also, maybe use a less cheap button (don't know if the current ones are?). And very important to me: a good internal design of the hardware prolongs the life of almost everything, including consoles! Never had to open up our console so keep it on this track :)

I can confirm that the new desk WILL have a power on/off switch :lol:

Perhaps a special memory so you could get the desk to start a show at a specific time (as you can already), run through itself, then turn itself off. :D

sp

p.s. just wondered, is frogII just a single desk or a series like there is at the moment?

• 2 weeks later...
On the new desk include two drawers to house the keyboard and tft monitor, which you could :!: SELL :!: :idea: as an extra

Hmmm ... wouldn't it need FOUR drawers .. one for the keyboard, one for each of the monitors, and a smaller one for the mouse ... or maybe that would have it's own mouse-hole :lol:

K-Nine : Technically Advanced Roving Dog In Space

Bran Media | Myspace

Of course we already have the ability to create chases, and the movement effects generator, but would the new desk be able to go into 'record' mode and then directly record all DMX output values.

So then you could record whole sequences (moving subs, presets. etc.) , and then just play back a macro of some sort to reproduce it entirely.

No doubt this idea would need much refining, but would it be feasible/useful?

sp

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe ZERO88 could sell in addition to the new desk the 'WYSIWYG-console-edition'?

WYSIWYG Console Edition is a feature-rich version of the well-known visualization tool, which includes CAD, data management and rendering functionalities. If additional channels of visualization are required, the supplied dongle can be easily and quickly upgraded to another level of WYSIWYG.

It comes 'free' with the purchase of a HOG III, if you can call it that way :D

Den Pipo

Pro Light Design