Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

7.8.2 disconnecting/losing touch screen connection after being idle

Hi

Ever since upgrade, I've been having some issues with touchscreen (Dell P2314T, 23") losing connection after few hours (about 2 to 3 hours, though it's also true that always I noticed I lost it was after about half an hour of desk being idle (aka nobody touched anything for that time). Reconnecting usb several times sometimes helps, other times I have to reconnect it and make calibration once again. This happened around 5 times so far on the LeapFrog48, and once on Solution during last 2 weekends, (same screen models on both consoles), so I'm not sure whether its some random occasions or something else. Any way to get some debugging info for it or something so that you could check the logs...? Screens work flawlessly on windows machine otherwise, and were bought in december...

On the other note, just today after powering up (LeapFrog48) got stuck on blue "Zero88" loading screen for over 10 minutes. Frogs were jumping randomly over the screens on the console, however, so it wasn't totally frozen, I guess... After switching it off and powering it up again, I got asked to save debug log onto usb stick, so I did it.
It's first time, and the desks are stable otherwise, so it's one time occasion so far...

Here's the file: (as I'm "not permitted" to upload it directly here)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/w313ql9srze42x1/debug_2-5-2015_20-29-00.zdb?dl=0

I've been having some issues with touchscreen (Dell P2314T, 23") losing connection after few hours (about 2 to 3 hours, though it's also true that always I noticed I lost it was after about half an hour of desk being idle (aka nobody touched anything for that time).

Strange... I've added this has ZOS-6184

After switching it off and powering it up again, I got asked to save debug log onto usb stick, so I did it.

Thank you for sending it to us, I've added it as ZOS-6185

...I'm "not permitted" to upload it directly here...

I'm not sure why some people are, and some people aren't. It's nothing personal! I'll have a look at the forum settings.

Jon Hole
Global Product Manager, Systems and Control

...I'm "not permitted" to upload it directly here...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/w313ql9srze42x1/debug_2-5-2015_20-29-00.zdb?dl=0

I'm not sure why some people are, and some people aren't. It's nothing personal! I'll have a look at the forum settings.

Is there anywhere else in the forum you're "not permitted" to post? What exactly does it say? I can't see a setting that would be causing this...

Jon Hole

Ok, thank you.

The touch screen disconnecting might really be an issue, as I intentionally left it sit there for a while and it happened over 10 times again in last few days. Also, after it is lost, I have trouble getting it back. Once I didn't manage to get it reconnected for over 10 minutes, (neither automatically or at least detected in calibration tool), so I rebooted the desk... strange, and hopefully its not with my screens only... :/

Do you happen to know anything about that debug file, that you added as a bug? Any general info on what caused it...?

Uploads:
It seems like I can upload jpeg images (to a certain size), however the debug and/or show files are not permitted due to the file type... It says "You're not permitted to upload this kind of file".

For the rest, I have no idea. So far, replying works fine, quoting as well, so I guess there isn't anything else, at least not vital... :)

... hopefully its not with my screens only...

It's definitely not with *all* touch screens - but it might be multi-touch screens or something like that. We'll let the software team look into it.

Do you happen to know anything about that debug file, that you added as a bug? Any general info on what caused it...?

Almost all the information in the debug files only makes sense to our software developers! I can look through and see key bits of information (like software version etc) and if there's an on-going issue, I'm told what to look out for! However, it's down to them to work out what caused the problem from the information provided in the debug.

It seems like I can upload jpeg images (to a certain size), however the debug and/or show files are not permitted due to the file type... It says "You're not permitted to upload this kind of file".

Ahhhh... ok - found it! I think you should be able to upload debug files now. It looks like showfiles should be fine already.

Jon Hole

It's definitely not with *all* touch screens - but it might be multi-touch screens or something like that. We'll let the software team look into it.

Don't know if it would be of any help but I have an iiyama Prolight T2252MTS, this is a 2 point multi-touch screen and I have no problems with the screen disconnecting,
And I only ever have to recalibrate when I change the usb port the monitor is plugged into, or run the desk without the touch screen connected then return back to using a touch screen,(both of these scenarios I would expect the screen to need calibrating).

And I only ever have to recalibrate when I change the usb port the monitor is plugged into, or run the desk without the touch screen connected then return back to using a touch screen,(both of these scenarios I would expect the screen to need calibrating).

Ideally, there shouldn't be a need to have to - once we've got the calibration of your touchscreen, linked to it's unique ID, it shouldn't matter if it's plugged into a different port, or unplugged and plugged back in. I'll ask our software team to look try and make this a bit easier. You should only have to recalibrate when you reset the console or update the console (which resets it anyway).

Jon Hole

Ideally, there shouldn't be a need to have to - once we've got the calibration of your touchscreen, linked to it's unique ID, it shouldn't matter if it's plugged into a different port, or unplugged and plugged back in. I'll ask our software team to look try and make this a bit easier. You should only have to recalibrate when you reset the console or update the console (which resets it anyway).

Well, this was for one almost certainly not in my case. Ever since I recall, even when using tiny 11'' Elotouch for a month, before finally decided to buy the biggie Dell, I'd have to calibrate it every time I swapped ports, or if the console was boot up without it being connected. True though, if plugged in the same port while it was already initialized, it had no issues.

However what I'm experiencing now is definitely not something you would want us to have, that much I believe.

Please, report some advice if there's any chance of getting any debug/log info for my touch or at least this case...

Maybe its something in the showfile ->that's the same as I posted in the other topic... ? Haven't tried loading any older showfile on the desk, tbh, but won't have a chance this week as I'm away....

OK, i will check on my desk again, it could well be me resetting the desk causing the desk to forget my screen, Generally if i am changing USB port or turning the desk on without a touch screen I am in a different venue. and at this point i do normally reset the desk (it is quicker as the rig and setup are different). i will check later on and feed back.

Edit: i have just tried swapping the usb port and i did lose the touchscreen and needed to colabirate the screen in order for it to work.