Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

betapack 1 compatability

i am doing the dutiful parent bit and helping out my son who is very interested in all things technical stage wise, and is doing his level best to light several school productions with a mixture of kit. most of which I have collected over the years.

I have a couple of Betapack 1's and have just aquired a strand 24 channel mx desk. Although it runs DMX, it also supports analogue controls via AMX192 and D54.

The dimmers run an 8-pin din socket, the output for the desk is 4-pin XLR

My question is can I run the dimmers from the desk and if so, which protocol, and how do I wire up a lead converting the 8-pin din to 4-pin XLR

I could purchase a demux controller and run the dimmers off dmx, but the budget is already stretched for something that is a freebie.

Thanks in advance for your help

Tim - you will need a Demux of some description as the desk is outputting a serial data protocol which you'd still need to convert to analogue.

The easiest short term way would be to buy either a Demux 24 (talk to a friendly Zero dealer about a deal :)) or keep an eye on eBay for the Beta 1 DMX I/F - they do occasionally appear there. Otherwise - an S72 is more than capable of driving the Beta 1 - the only issue will be making the jumper to get from 25pin D to the 8 pin DIN on the Beta.

Ian Knight aka The Service Guy - www.serviceguy.co.uk