Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

strange behaviour of the thumb-wheel

ziglight

I want report a little issue

since I had my solution desk I found it always a bit strange that the thumb-wheel increase values when turning from right to left (counter-clock); and diminish them when turning the weel from left to right (clockwise)

didn't love that behaviour but I thought there was a reason for..... and got used to it....

but today I went on the page "wheels" on my touch-screen and I was surprised to see that, when moving the wheel on screen it works normaly => increasing for clockwise and diminish for counter-clockwise (this is the opposite behavior of the real hardware thumb-wheel !!!

why is this ?? and is this behaviour "normal" on all Solutions desks ??

Hi Ziglight,

The reason for the thumb wheel working in this direction is so all your fingers and thumbs work in the "same direction" - away from your palm to increase the value, and towards your palm to decrease the value.

Well spotted about the wheels screen... that does work in the other direction and should be changed, so I've added it as issue ZOS-5982

Jon Hole
Global Product Manager, Systems and Control

Hi Ziglight,

The reason for the thumb wheel working in this direction is so all your fingers and thumbs work in the "same direction" - away from your palm to increase the value, and towards your palm to decrease the value.

okey

I understand this... and its anyway just a question to get used to it... no worry about !

• 5 years later...
On 12/5/2014 at 12:02 PM, Jon Hole said:

Hi Ziglight,

Well spotted about the wheels screen... that does work in the other direction and should be changed, so I've added it as issue ZOS-5982

Using Phantom ZerOS 7.9.7, I noticed this behaviour as well when playing about with Z remote and Z monitor Apps on both Android and Ipad. I will check it on our actual desk tomorrow, which is a Leapfrog 48 on 7.9.7.

On 8/23/2020 at 7:54 AM, delicolor said:

Using Phantom ZerOS 7.9.7, I noticed this behaviour as well when playing about with Z remote and Z monitor Apps on both Android and Ipad. I will check it on our actual desk tomorrow, which is a Leapfrog 48 on 7.9.7.

Confirmed the thumb wheel is the opposite way round to the apps on the real desk as well.