Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Moving lights to submasters

nathanrs93

Hi

Sorry if this has already been asked but couldn't find anything and I'm a new member. I have a Zero 88 Fat Frog console which I brought and having used Zero 88 consoles before I know the basics and how to do this and that, but I wanted to ask if it was possible to transfer moving heads onto sub masters at all?

It's something I've never tried yet but always wanted to know if I could set the moving heads up in the way I want (static scene) then transfer that to a sub master? Is it also possible to create moving scenes with moving heads and transfer them to sub masters, for example a dancy scene where they move about and change colour/gobos?

If it's possible it would be amazing because I'd only be putting up one fader in theory and not trying to move them manually...

Cheers

You can transfer any scene memory to a Sub but with moving heads you'll need to look at tagging attributes in the manual and refresh your memory.

Tagging means that you decide which parameters get saved in to a scene (or a sub if you program them directly). You would exclude everything but Pan & Tilt parameters from the sub you're working on, then when you use that sub - it decides where the fixture points but the colour, beamshape and intensity can be "sourced" from another sub or memory.

It's been a while since I last delved too deep in to the Fat Frog but I think there was a rudimentary form of palette too to allow presetting of colours and gobos.

Ian Knight aka The Service Guy - www.serviceguy.co.uk

You can transfer any scene memory to a Sub but with moving heads you'll need to look at tagging attributes in the manual and refresh your memory.

Tagging means that you decide which parameters get saved in to a scene (or a sub if you program them directly). You would exclude everything but Pan & Tilt parameters from the sub you're working on, then when you use that sub - it decides where the fixture points but the colour, beamshape and intensity can be "sourced" from another sub or memory.

It's been a while since I last delved too deep in to the Fat Frog but I think there was a rudimentary form of palette too to allow presetting of colours and gobos.

Thanks iank99

I did have a look through the manual last night and read about it and thought I could do it, but wanted to be sure as I'm that kind of person. Thanks for your help.

Hi Nathan,

As Ian says, what you want to do is perfectly possible.

If you want to store a "static" state of your heads, or are using one of the build-in fixture move effects then you could directly program the submaster.

If you want to do something more complex and use a chase (as opposed to a scene), then you will need to program a memory and then transfer (reference) this from a submaster.

Again as Ian says, decide if you want to store the entire fixture behaviour on the one sub (for a given "dance"), in which case you'll want to tag all attributes before programming the sub, or you might want to split the movement and e.g. colour on a number of subs in which case make sure you only tag the respective attributes before you hit programme for each sub.

We're also assuming you're programming the desk in Partial Mode, and you need to ensure the C/B/P programme options are set to Channel or All depending on how complex you try to get.

I think you'll need to play about a bit to get familiar with how to programme the desk to achieve what you want, as you're using some fairly "advanced" topics, but from what I see in your question, this should be achievable.

I'd also have a good read of the release notes and make sure 10.12 software is on the desk.

Also worth looking at some of the other topics in this forum related to Tagging/Partial/Tracking.

Good luck!

Kevin

ETA Yes there are 48 palettes for each of Colour, Beamshape, Position on the Frog desks. The manual is pretty accurate for palettes although with a recent software release you get 48 for each attribute whereas the manual will say 24 for the Fat Frog.