Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

what does offset actually do?

lxkev

create an effect from your shape generator: lets say, x on 50, Y on 50, speed 15 and shape ellipse. Now, all your scans have the same movement. OK, press and hold the positionbutton and you will see on your display: RELATIVE. You can change it by scrolling the the wheel, put it into FAN-FIRST. All your scans will still have the same movement. And now change the offset parameter to, let's say 65, and your scans will create a kind of ELLIPSE-WAVE. It's a simple but fantastic feature!!!

Have fun with it!

Den Pipo

Pro Light Design

As Pipo correctly said, Offset is one of the six parameters which defines a movement effect.

Offset determines how far through the movement, the effect starts when it is triggered or resynchronised.

If you have say 4 scanners all doing the same movement effect (effect, size x, size y, offset, rotation and speed). if the offset has the same value for each scanner they will all do the same effect, starting at the same position.

By adjusting the offset parameter for each fixture using the fan-functions on the wheels, you can create a 'wave' effect or you can set the offset absolutely for each fixture using the control wheel.

Example: Set up four scanners with the same movement effect (effect = quad, size x as required, size y as required, rotaion = 0, speed as required) Then for each of the scanners set up its offset individaully as follows:

Scanner 1 offset = 0

Scanner 2 offset = 25%

Scanner 3 offset = 50%

Scanner 4 offset = 75%

Save the data to a memory, and then trigger the memory.

All four scanners will do the same effect but each will start at a different corner of the quad effect.

K-Nine : Technically Advanced Roving Dog In Space

Bran Media | Myspace

It is... I was unaware of the FAN-FIRST function, so I always used it by setting first head to 0, next 10, next 20 etc... sh*tload of work, while this fan-function does it all for you! Damn, and I read the manual! Must have missed somethings somewhere ;)

> 500 posts, time for a new T-shirt? ;)

First of all congratulations on reading the manual :P

You'll be pleased to know that both the Frog Series and Mambo Frog Manuals will be re-issued shortly. Both have been updated to include all the recent functional updates including version 9.0 :)

As to the movement effects - it's the combination of the extra parameters such as offset together with the fan wheel editing modes that make generating those fancy effects really simple :D

K-Nine : Technically Advanced Roving Dog In Space

Bran Media | Myspace

Jup, you're damn right!

I guess I'll wait with my translation to Dutch until the next issue is out? Is that going to take a long time, or is it a matter of days / some weeks?

I learn something new everytime I use the desk; all those hidden features; they're great! :D

> 500 posts, time for a new T-shirt? ;)