Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

RGB fixture profile uses CMY

WillFeasey

Hi,

I'm about to program a load of Chauvet Colordash quad-par 18s in 10channel mode. However I notice on the colour parameters that I only have a choice of CMYA. Of course being RGBA fixtures I was expecting to be able to program using RGBA. Is the use of CMYA in order to make it easier to match CMY fixtures such as discharge lamp moving heads? or is it just a spot of randomness in the fixture profile? Also is there a way I just haven't found yet to to switch them to RGBA?

regards,

Will

Have you tried the 'Create Auto Palettes' to see what the desk generates? My understanding is that the function is to create a series of premixed colours that will 'map' to standard gel colours so you don't have to worry so much about building colours from scratch.

Even if you do need to mix a colour that's not quite standard - chances are the Palettes will give you a starting point that you could then tweak with the encoders.

Ian Knight aka The Service Guy - www.serviceguy.co.uk

Is the use of CMYA in order to make it easier to match CMY fixtures such as discharge lamp moving heads?

Kind of - the idea within ZerOS is that as an operator you choose which colour space you wish to work in, CMY or RGB, and then we do all the work in converting everything to that colour space for you.

is there a way I just haven't found yet to to switch them to RGBA?

There is :) Press SETUP and COLOUR together. In the window that appears, click "Colour Edit Mode" and change it from CMY to RGB.

Jon Hole
Global Product Manager, Systems and Control

There is :) Press SETUP and COLOUR together. In the window that appears, click "Colour Edit Mode" and change it from CMY to RGB.

Ah, but that changes the colour edit mode for every fixture, what my ideal would be is to be able to have the LED fixtures programming using RGB, and my moving heads using CMY as they have different ways of creating the colour within the fixtures themselves.

and Ian, yes thanks I am familiar with the auto pallettes function but it's not a question of the final colour it's how I get there. I have to teach principles of lighting design to gcse and a-level students and it would be nice to easily show the difference between CMY and RGB, especially as students initially find RGB easier to get their head around than CMY.

There is already an issue open to add in this option, which is listed as ZOS-4780, so I've added a comment to say we've had another request.

Changing the Colour Edit Mode between RGB and CMY doesn't just change the labels, it automatically makes the transition from RGB to CMY.

Using the "faders" option within the Colour Window is quite a good way of showing the difference between RGB and CMY, as when you move CMY, the RGB faders move to their equivalent levels at the same time.

Jon Hole
Global Product Manager, Systems and Control