Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Future feature changes/requests

JakeS

Any news for any of the requested features...?

Also, is there any way you could implement an option to use the desk as ArtNet to DMX node?

And also to use ArtNet as DMX Input, for same purpouse as phisical DMX Input is used for triggering additional submasters, let's say...?

Also, a nice handy thing could be to be able to patch Dmx IN to Dmx OUT (one of the free outputs), to have a loop-through, with the ability to take a "snapshot" of the dmx values combined with patching, so that I could, let's say, save position palettes for my patched fixture by capturing the other desk's positions

(Scenario: I come to a venue to work with my own console, where the local LD works with his own. In order to speed up programming, capturing his positions (other palettes as well) could be very very handy, to create palettes superfast and spare some precious time, which is always missing...

In order to know which channels are P/T, which are colors, etc, the desk would, of course, need to compare input values with the current patching info. But I believe it's not that much to handle, now is it?

anyway, more than anything, I'm really looking forward to hear any status updates about the software releases and some wuite basic functions implemented and bugs solved. Otherwise, I must say, sadly, I'm really looking to sell my console since, apart from the fact that it's still pretty unstable and is missing some quite basic functions, there are other solutions much more advanced and even cheaper out there available. :// I know its not that easy, but, seriously, how long is it since you've presented new ZerOS on PLASA, and how many updates have you released ever since, that would make significant changes to the current OS? It just feels really really slow! :/

Hi cucolino,

Thanks for all your comments and suggestions - I'll try and tackle them one by one!

Any news for any of the requested features...?

ZerOS 7.8.2 is currently being beta tested. This will close 23 issues. The delay we're experiencing at the moment is due to a couple of things - one being that we are completely rewriting the way that the Co-Processor draws the LCDs to speed this up and make it more stable.

Also, is there any way you could implement an option to use the desk as ArtNet to DMX node?

Could you expand this a little please? You mean Art-Net into the console, and then DMX out? With the console itself doing nothing else? This feels like a very expensive way of doing this...?

And also to use ArtNet as DMX Input, for same purpouse as phisical DMX Input is used for triggering additional submasters, let's say...?

I've added your comment to ZOS-2718 - "Option to use a sACN or Art-Net universe as DMX In"

Also, a nice handy thing could be to be able to patch Dmx IN to Dmx OUT (one of the free outputs), to have a loop-through, with the ability to take a "snapshot" of the dmx values combined with patching, so that I could, let's say, save position palettes for my patched fixture by capturing the other desk's positions

(Scenario: I come to a venue to work with my own console, where the local LD works with his own. In order to speed up programming, capturing his positions (other palettes as well) could be very very handy, to create palettes superfast and spare some precious time, which is always missing...

In order to know which channels are P/T, which are colors, etc, the desk would, of course, need to compare input values with the current patching info. But I believe it's not that much to handle, now is it?

The current "DMX In" (SETUP > Edit Fixtures > Patch) only controls the intensity currently. If we changed this to control the whole fixture (so using DMX In address 20, would actually use address 20 upwards for however many parameters that fixture has), would this solve this problem? We could then have a shortcut to auto-populate these to match the normal DMX patch?

anyway, more than anything, I'm really looking forward to hear any status updates about the software releases and some wuite basic functions implemented and bugs solved.

Would you like to be added to our Beta Testers list, so you can try out the software we're currently working on? There are other threads, similar to this one, in the Beta forum too.

Best regards

Jon

Jon Hole
Global Product Manager, Systems and Control

Hi, Jon. Thank you for your extended answer.

Can't wait for that renewed version, then. I hope those 23 issues solved will be those I wish they would... ;)

ArtNet Node mode: -> Well, you are correct on this one, but I wasn't refering to just use ArtNet to 4 Uni dmx out and the desk to rest; More of an option to select that, so that I can use let's say 2 universes from ArtNet and control the other 2 from the desk. It would come handy for use with ArtNet driven software for PixelMapping, for example, without the need to use external nodes.. Nothing vital, it was just an idea for additional option implemented, in case it's not requiring too much work to be done on the software...

Inputs: Awaiting for ZOS-2718 to be made, then... :)

DMX Input: Yes, if I understood correctly your idea, this should also do the trick. The main point is, that after the DMX input is received, it is:

a) forwarded to the actuall output ( would be better if directly, not via grandmaster etc, since I don't want to interfere with the work of another LD but rather just "hijack" his data... ),

b ) applies to the fixture patching in such way, that if I then create a new position palette, it still saves Pan and Tilt parameters of that fixture with values that are passed from the input.

As far as I remember, I think I was already added (or maybe not?) to that list... well at least I did receive the beta software couple months ago... I'll check the beta forum as well, Thanks!