Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Assigning a Martin 218

Kresten Bager

Hey all,

I recently upgraded a Bull Frog to software 6.2.

After this I have problems assigning a Martin Roboscan 218 (all modes) but the other fixtures that I have tried work fine. After I load it from the floppy, it simply clears the slot and sometimes shows a blue screen on the monitor. After this blue screen the desk is frozen.

Any thoughts as to what this could be?

Best regards Kresten Bager

Kresten Bager

Polyteknisk Scenelys

www.scenelys.dk

Dear Kresten,

I have just tried this on my Bullfrog running 6.2.

We actual have 4 of the Pro 218 mode 4 onour demo rig.

I have had no problems assigning them.

The only thing that I can think of it that the disk has been corrupted or those files.

If you have not already tried make a new disk and and try to assign them again.

It may alos be worth reinstalling the operating system.

I can provide an e-mail version incase there was a problem withthe downloaded one that you have.

Regards,

Keith Rogers

keith.rogers@signify.com

DD: +44 (0) 1633 833 101.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply,

I tried to download the software again and loading the fixture which helped a bit. When I press enter or go to [Assign] the slot clears and reads 7M (for slot 7). If I pass the cursor over the slot again the selected fixture appears again and all is well :-)

Sounds a bit strange but as long as it works...

Take care and thanks for your help!

Kresten Bager

Polytechnic Stage Lighting

Kresten Bager

Polyteknisk Scenelys

www.scenelys.dk

Dear Kresten,

Glad I could be of help.

As to what you have seen with the M7 button. I do this constantly when assingning fixture. In my case it tends to mean that my fingers are not keeping up with the commands form my brain. ie preseing the arrow up button instead of the plus button.

What you have basicly done is assigned a fixture to the button then instead of moving on to another fixture you have then reassigned it again. As the default fixture is a blank to enable you to unassign fixtures this is the one that gets selected.

The M stands for modified.

Regards,

Keith Rogers

keith.rogers@signify.com

DD: +44 (0) 1633 833 101.

Kresten,

Looks like the name strings from the fixture data have become corrupted. Please can you save your show to disk and email it to us, so that we can try and work out what's happened. (The fixture data will be saved as part of the show file).

mailto:techsupp@zero88.com.

Thanks!

Paul.

• 2 years later...

Frog Reference 5387 - Fixture assignment from floppy disk - corruption of data. Bug to be fixed in next release.

This seems only to occur when the 'Assign' button is pressed for a fixture which has already been assigned from floppy disk to no more than one fixture on the desk.

The fault behaviour varies from blank names, to corrupted text, to blue screen of death, to white screen of death (eeek!)

This one has lain dormant for 2.5 years, until the day after we release 9.8, when someone rings up and describes exactly the circumstances required to reproduce the problem...!!

• 1 year later...

Okay I have searched the forum and this was one area these had been discussed in.

I have just bought four 218s, and have got one in my store to get running with my leapfrog.

They are Mk 1's so I assume i install the fixture with no additional number etc?

I also have the Martin box to convert from DMX to Martin protocol.

I think I am right in needing to use a DMX polarity changer as well?

Now as far as I can see I am doing everything right. The seller gave me both the handbooks! as well so no downloading needed.

I have no control whatsoever.

I even put the unit to dmx start address one to see if the faders would control and no luck.

Obviously I will carry on playing, but any help will be greatfully received!

A couple of thoughts for you. You've mentioned swapping the polarity of your DMX - if you haven't tried this yet, i'd recommend trying that next.

Check all the cabling and DMX termination are in place and undamaged - for this purpose, a DMX Debug or similar will be useful. If the DMX is reaching the DMX-box (which may or may not require phase reversing), then the problem is probably between the inteface box and the 218s.

Peter Kirkup