Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Touch Screens (Dec 2013)

GoPowers

Any idea of what touch screens we can purchase in the USA? All the info provided is for other models that aren't easily purchased over here. Also, all the lists/info I found is quite aged. Are there any detailed features that I could research that could distinguish if the Solution console will work with a particular model?

Open to any criticisms/suggestions/information on what others are doing (preferably that reside in the USA).

We are running 7.6, but plan on upgrading once we have the time to do so.

Hi,

This is always a subject that should be a lot easier than it actually is!

There are a few ‘standard’ protocols for Touch Screen control and we support all of them, so in a perfect world – all touch screens should work!

However, some manufactures decide not to stick with standards. For this reason, the only way we know if a particular touch screens works is by trial and error.

We have a list of known touch screens here, but as you say - it's a bit out of date now.

The ones we use as Demo monitors, which we are really happy with, are the iiyama T1531SR.

We will soon be releasing a new version of ZerOS which adds additional support for Touch Screen monitors which don't conform to standard.

Hope this helps,

Jon

Jon Hole
Global Product Manager, Systems and Control

When the new Software will be released and will it support the LG T1910?

The touch screen drivers are built into the linux kernel we use, which contains an open source database of drivers which I believe many people and organisations feed into. Annoying, however, they don't provide a list of exactly what's included.

Jon Hole

• 1 month later...

GoPowers,

As I said, if manufactures kept to standards - all touch screen monitors would work with ZerOS. However, unfortunately, they don't.

The support within our Linux kernel are for the touch component that is used within consumer touch screens. Without knowing which manufacture made the touch component of the touch screen you list, it's hard to say if it will be supported or not. Touch Screen manufactures could also change touch component half way through production, making it even harder to track down.

I've listed a good value, good quality, touch screen monitor which has been tried and tested, and that is currently available in various sizes - what else would you like to know?

Jon Hole

Jon, thanks for responding. I'm a little heated about this feature; my apologies.

The problem I'm running in to is the models of touch screens you recommend are not easily available in the USA.

Our console is currently running 7.6... Is there an update to the display/touch drivers that are included in 7.7?

Thanks for your help with this.

We have updated the Linux Kernel we use for 7.8, which will be released shortly. This means a greater range of touch screens should be supported in this release.

I'd be happy to send you some beta code so you could try it? We don't recommend running shows on beta software, so you will need to try the beta, and then backdate your console back to release software.

If you would like to give it a try, please send me an email (address in my signature below).

Many Thanks

Jon

Jon Hole

• 3 months later...

Hello everyone! I wanted to check in and see if anybody has a way for me to tell which current models of touch screens are compatible with the latest kernel? I'm still hunting for a touch screen, and am fearful to buy one that doesn't work. Thanks for everybody's help.

• 2 months later...