Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Segmentation Fault On Leapfrog 96 During Upgrade

norm

Attempting to upgrade a Leapfrog 96 from ZerOS 7.3.0 to 7.7.0 a segmentation fault occured and the upgrade didn't happen. The debug file that was added to the USB install stick is attached.

An MD5 check on the downloaded zip file was the same on a second download so I assume that the download is ok.

Every so often the desk fails to boot locking up with all 3 keyboard lights on, the frogs still jumping but nothing else happening. Usually a second attempt works. Could there be a connection?

I have never had a problem with previous upgrades.

installdebug.dat

Hi,
We think the cause of this problem is the same as http://zero88.com/forum/topic/6627-console-freezes/

It seems to be usually caused by 'dodgy' keyboards or mice, but not always.
We're pretty sure we've fixed this in our latest software which we are currently testing.
So, first try unplugging any mice or keyboards you have plugged in, and see if the problem continues. If it does, there are probably three options for you:

- I can send you some beta software to see if this solves your problem. It's easy to backdate if it doesn't.

- We can backdate your console to 7.6 until we fix the issue

- You can stay on 7.7 for now, and wait until we do a public release

Let me know,

Best regards,

Jon

Jon Hole
Global Product Manager, Systems and Control

Hi Jon

At the moment I am on 7.3 as 7.7 didn't load. It stopped with the debug screen. Rebooting with USB stick removed booted back into 7.3. Somehow I have missed upgrades between 7.3 & 7.7.

The periodic boot failures (approx 1 every 4 boots) have happened since the desk was new in December 2009 and upgrades have never cured it.

I will attempt the upgrade again without the keyboard and mouse and let you know what happens.

Regards

Norm

Jon

The mouse is a PCLINE PCL-WS01 and the keyboard is a KEYSONIC ULTRA MINI KEYBOARD ACK-3400U (UK).

We do not have a touch screen and there are no other USB devices. The only other extra is a Netgear router plugged into the network port.

I attempted the upgrade again with the mouse & keyboard removed and the router removed and it still failed the same as before.

Norm

• 5 months later...

Hi,

I have the same Problem with the Leapfrog 48 Console.

I've attached the debug file as well.

Unplugging any keyboard or mouse attached didn't make a difference.

I also tried downloading the software a second time and even with different USB-Drives it comes to the same result.

At the moment there is the software version 5.2.2 installed and I intended to install version 7.7.

I hope anyone can help me with this problem.

Regards,

Sam

installdebug.dat

Hi Sam,

We've made this process a lot more secure in our next software update. The Release Candidate of the software has been released, and we're hoping to publically release this by the end of the week.

Probably best to give that a try. You can either wait for the public release, or I can give you access to the beta software?

Regards

Jon

Jon Hole

Hi Sam,
I've unlocked your account.
The Beta Forum is available here:
Please ensure you read this thread first:
Please let me know how you get on.
Best regards,

Jon

Jon Hole

Hi Jon,

I tried installing the Beta Version which didn't work. On the external Display I could see that the image from the usb drive was loading after that I got the ZerOS screen with the loading bar and after that there was a black screen with a grey "x" in the middle.

After your release of version 7.8 I tried it again. This time the installation process went further which means that I got the installation windows where I could click to start the installation. The installation went on but I got an error "unable to create GFT1" in the process. I'm attaching an image of that error. I rebooted the LeapFrog 48 and now it always hangs with the black screen with a grey "x".

And now it's also impossible to reinstall the software again because I don't get the install screen where I can click to start the installation.

I hope you have a clue on what the problem could be.

Thanks in advance.

Sam

post-9898-0-07993500-1394633981_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...