Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Are we going downhill?

techbppac

Hello,

It is with regret that for the first time ever, I had bad feedback of Zero 88 and their software to a prospective buyer today.

Previously I had alway been greatly impressed with the software, with the support and the frequency of updates and bug fixes.

Unfortunately, the last update which was released in May 2012 only brought previously fixed problem back. I have contacted zero 88 numerous times about issues, smart tags being turned off after a full record is one of my main problems.

We were also promised that the new release of ZerOS 8.0 would be launched at PLASA, it was launched and never released.

I know you have lost a great technical mind....but the one thing that zero 88 always got right, was its customer service....I feel that this is slipping quickly away.

I was promised lots of things at plasa (a orb xf ws one of them!) but really all I need is the confidence and support that zero 88 have always had.

Please...keep us informed, and above all deliver on promises!

i have to agree with this, the desk OS has been very doggy over the last few releases. I saw OS 8 at Plasa focus last year, in which I managed to crash the desk when exiting RDM in the setup. Lack of updates, info and unreliable os had made me make a hard decision very easy. After using Zero 88 products for 15 year Im Switching our Orb for a ETC IOS later this year.

Sorry guys but we have to have a Desk that works and visiting companies don't laugh at.

:( lxkev

I need a new job

Hi techbppac and lxkev,

I've recently taken over the software development of ZerOS. I'd like to try and explain what's going on 'behind the scenes'.

As you saw at PLASA, ZerOS 8 was a massive update (with well over 200 issues and new features), and was far from being ready for release. We've learnt that there was just too much in this single release which then had knock on affects on other areas of the operating system, and kept pushing back the release date.

We are now scaling back a release, called 7.6, which is the fastest, and most stable release of ZerOS I have seen in my almost 3 years here. However, stability is THE most important thing, so we are spending longer than normal testing this release, both internally and externally on shows around the UK and Europe. We are *so* close to releasing 7.6.

After that, we are going to be working on Tracking Backup, as this is an area our current customers have told us they would like us to work on further.

Once these areas, which are most important to our current end users, have been completed, we are then going to revisit the new features we want to release, as 'ZerOS 8'.

I hope this gives you some insight into the incredible amount of internal beta software releases that's going on here at Cooper Controls, and I really hope you're going to be as happy with 7.6 as I am.

We're always looking for new Beta Testers from a variety of backgrounds, and if this is an area of interest to you, please drop me an email.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact me directly - all my details are in my signature below.

Best Regards,

Jon Hole
Global Product Manager, Systems and Control

The technbppac,

I'd be happy to send you a beta version of ZerOS closer to the end of the week, if this would be helpful?

The Android Remote was released to a handful of Beta Testers, and we're now working on the issues and requests that came back from that round of testing. We'll then release a second Beta.

Best Regards,

Jon Hole
Global Product Manager, Systems and Control

i have to agree with this, the desk OS has been very doggy over the last few releases. I saw OS 8 at Plasa focus last year, in which I managed to crash the desk when exiting RDM in the setup. Lack of updates, info and unreliable os had made me make a hard decision very easy. After using Zero 88 products for 15 year Im Switching our Orb for a ETC IOS later this year.

Sorry guys but we have to have a Desk that works and visiting companies don't laugh at.

:( lxkev

Hi Lxkev,

I am working for RTC (the austrian distributor of Zero 88) with more than 10 years experierence of Zero 88 products now.

As you I am following this forum for years now. I do not agree your statement of a doggy OS. It works okay within its specified features. Some issues of the 8.0 occured after a responsible person left the company which have and shall be fixed BEFORE the release of the 8.0. You played on a Beta of the release 8. So why are you complaining about a crash. The reason of Betas is to find such bugs!

We all need to be a little patient now to get the new release, well tested!*:-) If you have made your decision, okay! But stop bashing around.

BR

Sven

Sven Paulsen

Klangfarbe Vienna

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...