Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

+ / - Operation on desk

Haytech

Hi,

I have some problems with plus and minus keys on the desk:

If I press the "-" key to scroll down the cursor will increase speed if I found the memory i looked for I release the button but the scrolling won´t stop immediately - this is awful if you haven´t a keyboard to key in your memory.

My suggest:

Immediately stop scrolling at +/- key release.

Or use the middle finger wheel to scroll thru the memories.

Thanks

Sebastian H.

Pro - Sound Showtechnik

The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.

Albert Einstein

"You can get a lot more done with a kind word and a gun"

Al Capone

This appears to be a problem with the memories screen displayed on the monitor 'lagging' behind that on the LCD. It takes longer to refresh the monitor screen than it does to update the LCD.

On releasing the + or - key, the cursor will stop on the memory shown on the main LCD, then the monitor screen will catch up a short while later.

If you are looking at the monitor screen, then this gives the impression that you have overshot the selected memory by about five memories :(

K-Nine : Technically Advanced Roving Dog In Space

Bran Media | Myspace

Aaaaaaah indeed! That sucks bigtime, any chance of fixing?

If you say it's the monitor-output lagging: at what refresh rate is that thing!?!? I don't get why that should be any more difficult than refreshing lcd-output; don't know how the frog OS was made but a refresh of 60hz wouldn't be that difficult I hope??? I really thought it was built-in for some reason (but couldn't figure out why what that would be).

> 500 posts, time for a new T-shirt? ;)

This appears to be a problem with the memories screen displayed on the monitor 'lagging' behing that on the LCD. It takes longer to refresh the monitor screen than it does to update the LCD.

Its not so much the refresh rate of the monitor, Its more a matter of how long it takes to re-draw all the text on the monitor screen whenever the memory number has changed...

I registered this behavior first at a small venue on saturday while using the desk without monitor and keyboard ...

I think the LCD is more laggy than the monitor but don´t spike me on that, I dont think that this was the same thing I described.

If I use the +/- keys to go thru the memorys the counter "overshoots" about five mem´s even on the LCD screen.

Sebastian H.

Pro - Sound Showtechnik

The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.

Albert Einstein

"You can get a lot more done with a kind word and a gun"

Al Capone

It sounds like this is something we need to investigate further and see if we can improve the situation of overshooting the required memory when scrolling through the memory list using the cursor keys.

I have tried it on a Fat Frog here, and it does appear to overshoot on the main LCD. The amount of the overshoot seems to be related to how long the + or - key has been held down for.

These keys need to auto-repeat when held down or you would have to hit the key once for every memory in the stack that you wished to go through 8O

When I'm testing the desks in our demo room, I always have a keyboard and monitor connected, so when I want to go to a specific memory I just type the number in followed by ENTER and it jumps straight to that memory :)

However, I do appreciate, that not everyone will have an external keyboard attached to enable them to do this :(

I couldn't possibly use the desk without a monitor though :P

K-Nine : Technically Advanced Roving Dog In Space

Bran Media | Myspace

• 1 year later...

not really a bug, but a bit annoying.

its about the + and - keys used to advance to a memory. When i keep either pressed down to scroll to the memory i want, it keeps scrolling when i release the button again. thus overshooting my memory. I'd like to see it stop immediately after i release the button.

if one million people say a foolish thing, it is still a foolish thing.

• 8 months later...

I have the same problem and it is not nice. It is not just with the monitor, it is with the lcd screen as well. The memories over run by up to 10 memories, which is a bit naff to say the least! I got really peed off with it when we first got the desk. When programing and replaying sections and then jumping to the end memorie (ie to jump to a house preset at the end of the stack for example) the memories would keep on going until back at memory 11 or 12! I now use the keyboard to enter say 123. I would still like to be able to scroll in a controlled manner! Any ideas?

HARLOW COLLEGE Performing Arts.

• 2 weeks later...

On programmed (60) and unprogrammed memories alike, both LCD and monitor:

start on mem 40, hold the + key for exactly 10 seconds (after the initial first increasing step, there is a right brief pause to avoid unwanted 'overstepping' at this point, then the mem selection increases rapidly up), mem counter stops at mem 101 where the release of the + key was approx. on mem 80.

My guess is that the key (-board) buffer is not read out fast enough to keep up with the hastely pace of the user, and not the refresh rates of the LCD and monitor, because there's only room for these 5 or so mem steps in that brief pause.